Star Trek theme garden...ideas?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm trying to get my husband more involved in my gardening projects. Since he's an avid Star Trek fan, and he's gotten me interested in Trek too, I thought I'd create a Star Trek theme garden for him. I need some help finding perennials for my part shade spot (which probably gets an hour or two of morning sun and three hours of mid- to late-afternoon sun).

So far, I have some hostas in mind:

Captain Kirk
Enterprise
Vulcan

Any other ideas? I'm all (pointy) ears! (Or, well...eyes, at least.)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't know if you have enough sun in this new garden for Daylilies, but there are some great ones with Star Trek type names! I saw a thread over in the DL forum that had a Star Trek themed garden with many theme named plants....will go see if I can find it and link you to it! :-)

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

I have mentioned this to my fiance, who is also a Star Trek fan, but he isn't biting, lol:)

There is a Starship Enterprise bearded iris that is lovely: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/75412/

This message was edited May 4, 2009 4:26 AM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Passionflower is a vine that flowers, and the blooms are really bizzarre like they are aliens from another planet. There might be a cultivar with an outerspace name?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh, I love that iris!

And yes, I think I probably have enough sun for daylilies. When the area's not in direct sun, it's at least very bright. I'll try to look into the Star Trek daylilies. Great idea!

PonyFarmer, passionflower sounds like a good one to look into. Thanks for the tip!

Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

There are many types of iris that have star names including enterprise and some iris that just the colors are very...odd to me, that make me think of stars. I do not have the names off hand but if you asked in the iris section, I'm sure someone would know what i'm talking about. That is one very cool idea to have a Star Trek garden! Great, I don't have room as it is and now I want one!!!!!

(Zone 7a)

Here's an article I read awhile back...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1428/

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, kwanjin! How did I miss that? Never occurred to me to search on DG for "star trek garden." Looks like a lot of daylilies there, which is just fine by me. Of course, I'm open to other plants with Trekkie cultivar names if anyone knows any. :)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

kwanjin~ That is what I was refering to a couple posts back, but I thought it was a thread, forgot to check articles!! Many, many good Star Trek Daylilies in that article!!

I'm so glad you found it - I searched a bunch of ways in the DL forum, and never found it - now I know why!!

Good Luck with your new garden Kayly!!

(Zone 7a)

I only remembered it because I keep all Lois's articles handy.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I've grown Star Trek plants for several years now. No daylilies though. I've expanded to include any more or less "spacey" plant. Miniature rose "Space Odyssey" is nice. Any hoo, I would like to add dwarf bearded iris "Klingon Princess" (available from Malevil Gardens) and Asiatic lily "Vulcan" to the list of possibilities. Have fun creating your new garden!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

*takes notes*

Thanks! Those are great suggestions. :)

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

moonflowers?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Kayly~
These are some Star Trek themed Daylilies I found on just one nurseries website!! I think these are all from Star Trek anyway....LOL :) They were at a Daylily nursery called Browns Ferry Gardens(all info came from their website) - I've never ordered from them, but I thought it would be a place for you to start! I will try to link to the site at the bottom of this post....Good Luck with your new garden project! Let us know how it goes. There is an early/mid season bloomer, a mid season, and a mid/late bloomer in this group, so you could have one of them in bloom all season. And they are all re-bloomers so you would probably have several in bloom at any one time -- all summer!

BEAM ME UP {RICE 04} 6" SEV ML-RE 28" Reddish purple blend with a white and chalky violet watermark.

DARK EMPIRE { BENZ 01} 5.5" DOR M-RE 30" Pie crusted ruffled burgandy purple with small creamy GT. Husky plants with large scapes 50 bud count

DELTA QUADRANT { PEAT 00} 6.5" SEV EM-RE 24" Purple burgandy with black purple eye and white edge

ROMULAN DEFECTOR {C.HANSON 96} 6" SEV M-RE 26" Violet purple blend with mauve apricot watermark and yellow throat - really pretty and popular

STARGATE PORTAL {E.SHOOTER 00} 5.5" DOR ML-RE 40" MEDIUM RED PURPLE W/ BLUE LAVENDER WATERMARK

SPOCKS EARS {C.HANSON 04} 6" SEV ML-RE 30" PURPLE LAVENDER BLEND WITH WHITE EDGE ABOVE CHARTREUSE THROAT

VULCAN LOGIC {C.HANSON 04} 5" SEV M-RE 30" MAGENTA ORCHID BLEND WITH ROSE WATERMARK ABOVE CHARTREUSE THROAT

http://brownsferrygardens.com/index.htm
Have Fun!!
Jamie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.