5 transplanted trees; how long before they're established?

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

My husband and I had 5 trees transplanted 7 weeks ago, since they were growing way too close to the house. Now they have space and we love their new locations. We have been watering them every day, now I'm watering them every 2 days. 1 of the 5 ( 11 ft raintree) is booming with new growth, while 2 laurel oaks ( 10 and 18ft )are not very easy to read. They look fine, other than that the leaves browned and shriveled, but are not falling off. One of the two oaks still has 3 small green leaves (no blemish to be found, while the rest of the tree's leaves is completely brown and shriveled.) I check those leaves all the time :) !There's a 7ft camphor tree that seams to be having trouble: VERY few brown shriveled leaves on the branches, and the ends of the branches are going black. The trunk is still vibrantly green, though. The fifth is a queen palm. It seems to be doing fine.

The question is; how long do I have to keep watering them religiously. We are going to be going on a 3 1/2 month trip. Do I have to find someone to water them? How often? what do I do to get my camphor to survive? When are they 'established'?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Odd time to pick to transplant trees. I bet the rain trees will do fine, the others????

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi CoreHHI- My husband and I have very little time during the year to deal with things like this, and I was afraid that if we left them another year/partial year, they were going to do damage to the house. Some grew right on the wall (no clearance), others were growing below the roof and trying to grow bending around the roof in order to go up. They were all within a foot of the house! I guess we could've just killed them, but we love trees. The arborist who transplanted them said transplanting them at this time would be fine. I'm in zone 9, I don't know if that would make a difference... So we trusted him. This way it's no longer a big worry (about the house). Still worrying about the trees, though!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.