Is there hope for my magnolia?

Buffalo, NY

I have an 6 foot tall oriental magnolia that my father planted at least 20 years ago. When I inherited his home in 2002 and 2003 it leafed like crazy but had only several blooms. Each year after that it has bloomed less and less - one or two or three blossoms. Then last year there were no leaves at all until the middle of June when it suddenly began to leaf out at the trunk, but nothing at all on the branches. This year it is starting to leaf at the trunk again and there are two large buds. I had actually thought that Dad had simply planted it in the wrong place - not enough sun about 15 feet away from two huge black walnut trees and surrounded by English Ivy (no ivy growing on it). There are magnolias all over the neighborhood that are large and beautiful, but not mine. Since the "skeleton" of the tree, the branches and trunk, is beautiful, I figured I'd keep it for that even if it had died. But it seems to be struggling so to bloom and live that I just have to help it, but I don't have any idea what to do for it. Can someone help me please.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Black walnut put off a chemical that kills other trees. I would say that's your problem.

If that's not the problem try epsom salt. You're totally out of my zone so what we do down here probably won't help you, I do think the walnuts are giving you the trouble.

Buffalo, NY

What do you do with the epsom salt?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Sprinkle it around the tree, it helps them put out more blooms.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

It could be that the tree also has girdling roots and the girdling roots are slowly killing the tree, as well. Nothing that can be done if that's the problem. Most potted stock has been grown in a pot for way too long and this is the beginning of the girdling roots problem.

Black Walnuts give off juglone, which is toxic to many plants. The problem could be a combination of the two problems.

Here is a link to plants that are and are not susceptible to juglone. Magnolias are in the susceptible list, unfortunately.

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/iac/greentip/blackwal.htm

How attached to the black walnut trees are you? If you really like the magnolia, removing the black walnuts will be a start to helping improve its health. Unfortunately, you cannot remove all of the BW roots and the roots also give off quite a bit of juglone. Also, don't compost black walnut leaves since the leaves also contain juglone and you will add juglone to the soil anywhere you put composted black walnut leaves.
Good luck...

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Epsom salts is hydrated magnesium sulfate. It supplies magnesium and sulfur. The sulfur acidifies soil and makes more nutrients and minerals available from the soil for acid loving plants. Phosphate is the ingredient that forces bloom. Phosphate is the P in NPK ( nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium). If you really want to push flowering on anything try triple phosphate, super phosphate or rock phosphate. Be very careful with the first two types as some shrubs or perennials over react in funny ways. Magnolias do seem to like to girdle themselves to death, especially of they have been heavily mulched on a regular basis. I would darn sure dig down in the soil at least 6" all the way around the base of the trunk and see what's going on. The most likely culprit though is the Black Walnut nearby.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Snapple good explaining. Never really thought about why it works it just works.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, CoreHHI - It's really the results that matter ;) If it's working for you then stick with it.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, I had an idea why it it worked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.