What's bloomin' in May?!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I tried to start this earlier - it timed out on me for some odd reason - gotta love Comcast...so let's see it...I know you all have been outside today on this glorious day!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll be a piggy and throw some stuff in I took Friday before I left....

A NOID iris I traded with Miss Mary, a local customer at the nursery I used to work for...she's a sweetheart! (umm Mary and the iris LOL)

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

A variagated Iris I picked up at Lowe's in Myrtle Beach last year...wish I had gotten the other one they had...but I was broke...LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ok who doesn't love a good red rose...mmm smells great

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

The flea market in Columbia had a plant sale about a month ago - I went home sick so I could go to it LOL...a few pitcher plants I picked up to start me out on them...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I think I am addicted to bearded iris's at this point...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

yep...I'm definately a gonner on the bearded ones' LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ok throw in a few Clematis too...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

..sigh...next year they'll run...can't wait for that....

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ok I'm done with this last pic of some foxglove....but I gotta say....it took two seasons to be this great....they are taller than me now...which at 5'6" may not be saying a whole lot...but growing these from seed has been a worthwhile experience......

Thumbnail by rednyr
Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

sarracennia "Sweet Pitcher"
I got a bunch of pitcher plants at that sale, too.

Thumbnail by pyromomma
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Here is my first Blue-Eyed Grass blossom. I jut love these tiny flowers that stand up so proudly on their tiny iris like stalk

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice pics, rednyr!

This strange-looking thing is Amorphophallus konjac. The flower is really stinky (they're pollinated by flies). It has very nice foliage in the summer too.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Baptisia 'Purple Smoke'

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ohh Tom that's a beaut!

Thumbnail by rednyr
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Rose 'Crepuscule' - It's looking a little rough so need to prune it after it's done blooming.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

The peonies do not like this hot, windy weather.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

but Tom at least your's are blooming = mine are staying closed tight as a drum...

posted the below on the wrong thread...man I need to get my head on straight...LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr

Wild Geraneum, from the Smokies

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

very nice birdie....depicted below are wild kitty cats from who knows where - but they knew to hide under the chair earlier during the tornado watch LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr

Azalea----this shrub always has one or two small areas of vivid bright fuchsia amongst the other lighter pink.
So here is a picture of the shrub, then I'll show a couple close ups of the spectacular flowers. they have speckled throats. Ive never seen one like this anywhere else, and it came with the house,k so I don't know exactly what it is

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

the 2 colors on the same branch

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

a close up of the light pink bloom...please notice the lovely fuschia "freckled throat"

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

OK...and here is the vivid darker fuchsia flower that is on the same branch...I really don't understand how that happens, but am always gad to see it each year.
Please notice this bloom also has the darker pink "freckling throat"
I wonder if th branch that finally rooted after being anchored to the ground for t years will also have this vivid pink Branch somewhere it=n it when it grows to maturity. I hope so!!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Tom your Amorphophallus konjac is just awesome - please come on down and bring some LOL

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Birdie I have an azalea that does the same thing. The fushia is on seprate branches, only a couple.

Wow, how very cool.!!! I have sure gotten a lot of comments on this shrub, and it is my favorite of all my spring flowering things.
Do you know if it has a special name?
I wonder if 2 were crossed to get that speckling and that every once in a while the chromosomes get mixed up on a branch or two....

Sheri

Kannapolis, NC

Does anyone know what this plant is? It's blooming, if you can call it that, in my mother's garden and resembles a jack-in-the-pulpit.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's a photo of the leaves:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's a NOID iris blooming in Asheville:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's Tradescantia `Sweet Kate,' one of my favorite plants:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Another NOID iris:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

The last of my NOID irises for now:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Allium `Mars':

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Allium `Purple Sensation':

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Geum chiolense `Blazing Sunset':

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Will post my roses tonight. Gotta get to work! Hope you all have a lovely gardening day.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Birdie I don't know the name. I got my azaleas from the Hyatt hotel on Hilton Head. They were being ripped out to replace the landscaping. There's also a building on HHI that has the same azaleas, same fushia branches.

Well then, I shall just call them my "Hilton Head Azaleas"!
Thanks,
Sheri

Kannapolis, NC

Rosa David Austin `Portmeirion':

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.