Normal Kiln or Microwave Kiln?

Singapore, Singapore

Hi everybody
I just started this week learning how to make fused glass jewellery & made some just yesterday at a workshop but I won't be able to see the completed item till next week.

I'm intending to get a kiln to embark on my life's hobby (probably)
I learnt today that there is such a thing as a microwave kiln but I have my concerns, price-wise it is still ideal for a student who is still living off her parents to a certain extent but also my apartment would probably have a black-out everytime I'd turn on the kiln(if I do get one)
Has anybody used it before?? would it be more expensive in the short term / long run if I get a microwave kiln instead of the regular ones in the market right now?Utility bills-wise since they both run on electricity.

Also safety-wise, my dad just bought a new microwave oven, the kind that you can bake in it as well, there is a convection heating element on the top too, so if anybody has experience in using this microwave kiln would you say that probably it is a good/bad idea to use it in this kind of microwave especially with that hole at the top? I don't want to "kill" the new appliance.

So far I have read two testimonies on using this, one says it works for only 10 firings and another says that they have been using it for over 15 years. I'm a bit skeptical about the lifespan of this.

Any advice would be great at this point in time. and sorry if I have posted this in the wrong catergory.

Just to give you an image of how the microwave kiln I have my eyes on looks like

Thumbnail by KellyC88
This thread has 28 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!