Bearded Iris Ordered

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I did it. I ordered a big bunch of bearded iris. The heck with it. I might as well start picking the ones that I like and quit obsessing over it. Have to start somewhere. I do have 2 spots picked out were I can (and will) plant some put this just pushed me to work on expanding the upstairs bed around the old cherry tree.

I still intend to order from Schreiners but for starters I found this Iris grower in Utah that has the most unusual selection I have ever seen.

Zebra Gardens-

http://www.zebrairis.com

I ordered three of their BB because I could not resist them. I got-
Acaconda Love
Baboon Bottom
Meerkat Manor

Then I got TB Iris. I started with two of their 2009 intros -
Orangutan Orange
Kudu'z Kudoz

The rest of the TB I got are-
Flamingo Gringo
Black Falls
Elainealope
Okapi Poppy
Nigerian Raspberry
Zandria
Quail Ale
Tanzanian Tangerine

Lots of there are their own intros as one might guess from the rather off beat names. Talk about different, wow.

South Hamilton, MA

Brad has been very sucessful with the 'broken color', an erratic plicata series.

Cherryvale, KS

Just a Croc I love Kasperek iris. For form Millenium Falcon is one of the best!! Elainalope also has rebloomed for me in the past. I probably ggrow 20-25 of his intro's.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Here is a picture of Brad Kasperek at the nationals in OKC!! He and his wife Cathy are a hoot. At one of the evening meals he wore a zebra dinner jacket! LOL

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love Kasperek's intros. Millenium Falcon is, indeed one of the bet. I also have done well with Gnu's Flash, Toucan Tango, and Cheetah Cheese, and Okapi Poppy. Have others that I are growing well, but Baboon Bottom and Bewilderbeast died. Millenium Falcon bloomed out, but I have replaced with something else. The ones that died came from local AIS rhizome sale and may not have been the best quality rhizome sale. Intend to try again, but I find Kasperek's iris tricky to grow. But I love them and have quite a few.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I do think the Kaspereks are a hoot and I do remember well the zebra striped dinner jacket. Very interesting people. She hybridizes too. Would love to have her Coyote Ugly. It is really very nice.

The entire website is obviously done by someone with a strong scense of humour. I am glad to hear that they are well known. I just stumbled upon them by accident but just could not stop looking at the pictures of the most unusual selection of iris that I had ever seen. I figger that all these planted by themselves might be too much of a good thing so I am planning on interplanting with "normal" looking bearded iris that I will also order. But these will certainly get peoples attention. They got mine :-))

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, Kasperek's Iris are knockouts. You will not regret growing them.

Cherryvale, KS

Pugzilla I thought cathy had written his catalog, but no!! Brad does it in third person, very entertaining! Great frienly couple!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Lebanon, OR

Let's see do I like Kasperek iris, you tell me
aardvark antickz
alpha gnu
anaconda love
baboon bottom
bewilderbeast
blueberry filly
cheetah cheese
chocolate moose
congo bongo
coyote ugle
doe z doe
elephant footprints
emu zing
ewe'll dew
giraffe kneehiz'
gnu generation
gnu rays
gnus flash
grape snakez
grizzly gosling
heart of africa
hippo'z tutu
honey cub
hyenasicle
iwan'a iguana
jackal cackle
just a croc
kilimanjaro sunrise
king tush
kinkajou shrew
lacy lynx
llama mama
millennium falcon
magdalena louisa
no egrets
okapi poppy
peekaboo zebu
pin tail
plum duck
quail ale
rhea peerz
royal quackers
serengeti spaghetti
spiced tiger
squid squirt
tanzanian tangerine
tiger honey
toucan tango
tricerabottomz
unstable gene
yak attack
zz zanzibar

Compulsive I know

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How cool, Dee! Wish I had so many! I have more than I listed, but nowhere near as many as you. Squid Squirt and Elanealope especially appeal to me.

Its raining today. Usually I have planting to do all day but since I couldn't go work in the garden, I got in more trouble on line spending money :-)) I did my order from Schreiners because I had the time. They are all TB that I ordered.
They have this discount program so you pay less plus a bonus iris program. I figgured I get 3 but when the shopping cart popped up, it told me to choose 4 so I did. Got HERE COMES THE NIGHT, TUMALO SUNSET, EVENING TIDINGS and SPOT STARTER as my bonus plants.

I ordered-
Trumpet Call
Dangerous Mood
Foreign Legion
Evening Drama
Vigilante
Visiting Royalty
Prague
Florentine Silk
First Wave
Naughty Nights
Val De Loire
Paul Black
Starring
Majestic Ruler
Rhinelander
Rio Rojo
Aristocracy
Sea Power
Merchant Marine
Raven Girl

These should be stunning next season if only I can get thru this year as I have to make room for them by expanding a garden bed section in the back yard. I have two small sections in the front were in intend to plant but since I did not control myself ordering, I am going to have to get to work.

Between Zebra Gardens and Schreiners, I ordered too many iris and need to make space.

Wow, Dee, you certainly do have a great list of Kasperek intros. I don't have that much room!

I seem to like the very dramatic. Many of these I ordered at Schreiners are the contrasting two colored ones, I don't know the term for it. Even the self one colored ones are strong colors, no pale wispy colors here.

But from no bearded iris to a whole lot in one day means I had better quit ordering and just wait until next year.

Lebanon, OR

If you like Space age ones which have the horns, flounces and things, I have a ton of Burseen iris as well that I did not list this year, but about 50 I image. Ordered more this year.

D

I don't know about horns and flounces. I like lots and lots of ruffles and I like contast. On the solid colors, I picked deep strong colors. I was not tring to do any of this on purpose, I was just picking what I liked and that happened to be it,

Now, I could choose many others that would be different but since I don't have too much room, I had to get really picky.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dee, I have just about the same list you do. When I started out my nursery at home, I looked for irises wholesale, and Brads was the first to pop up, so I put a huge order in with him, and have been selling them since. I never regreted it. They have sold well, and they are just fascinating irises.

Lebanon, OR

Yes, they are and they do sell very well, but if any one likes SA then Burseen is out of this world

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful!

Lebanon, OR

Inky Icon

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
South Hamilton, MA

Rita--the term you are looking for is bi-colored or if shades of the same color--bitone. It really gets to iris people at our sales, if you mention purple, they say 'I have that one' even though it is a new plant. Keep an eye on your plants in a protective way & tell people where you bought them if they are serious gardeners.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's a picture of Starring from my garden last season. Has not bloomed yet this year.

Thumbnail by dd95172

Very nice :-))

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Even if you don't care about SA's and Flounces, Burseen is out of this world. His stuff is very interesting and grows like crazy as far as I can tell. I admit I don't have any of his, but I was very impressed by the way his grew in Austin when others couldn't hack it. There is a lot more to Burseen irises than horns and flounces, not that I mind either.

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Coyote Ugly & Living Legacy

Thumbnail by Gabriel25
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

This is Arctic Fox taken 5/1/09

Thumbnail by Gabriel25
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Coyote Ugly is a 2007 intro by Kathie Kasperek, I received it as a door prize at our club's annual meeting two years ago, bloomed last year also. I love it! Her Hotdogs and Mustard is getting ready to open for me, if it will quit raining for a few hours. Haven't seen sunshine in days.

rose

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, that Coyote Ugly and Living Legacy make quite a wonderful display. I have been wishing for that one. Love you Arctic Fox as well.

What exactly does space age mean when you are referring to iris?

I honestly don't know about the extra bits. I am not at all sure that I would even like the horns. I believe the horns are the things at the ends of the beards. Don't know what flounces are. It would help if I saw them in person but that is not gonna happen. There is not local Iris club here on Long Island as far as I know. Surprises me as we have a very active and long standing daylily club here on Long Island. I would think iris would be as popular as daylilies.

South Hamilton, MA

Space Age does refer to extras which protrude at the ends of the beards. It is a personal thing whether you like them or not; horns being an uplift of the ends, spoons being a longer part which does form a little spoon look alike & flounces a larger ruffly piece. Most of the ones being shown on the Burseen thread are horns or flounces. As a personal matter, I don't care for flounces as I thing it breaks up the form of the flower, I don't mind horns or spoons. I all depends on your perspective, just like color.

Gainesville, TX

OK.....is there a link you can share to a site for the Burseen space agers

I have fallen in love with the added appendages, but did not understand there was a specialty hybridizer

Thumbnail by sharondippity

It must be personal taste because is just looks weird to me. I want to get out my pruners and cut off those flounces so that the flowers would look "right" to me. I know peoples tastes differ and thats a good thing. Life would be too boreing if everyone loved the exact same thing.

South Hamilton, MA

There are a group of hybridizers who work with space age,Tom burseen is one of them I have a few horns on BB seedlings, not trying for them, just used a space age as a pollen parent for other reasons.

Are the 34 TB Iris I ordered all going to fit in the 7 foot aquare bed that I have planned? And I figgure it might be more because I am sure I should get bonus plants from my Zebra Gardens order. I figgured in my Schreiners bonus plants already.

Schreiners sent me a nice big color catalog which came today. Of course, I have shopped at the website, that is why I received the catalog. But theres nothing like holding a catalog in my hands and looking at all those stunning pictures, at least not for me. I could easily order another batch of more iris than I did originally. BIG SIGH. I have to wait and see what happens after the ones I already ordered get planted. But that catalog sure is enough to get me in trouble wanting more and more. :-((

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nothing like a big iris catalog for getting oneself into trouble! Shreiners probably has the best catalog in the industry now that Cooley's has downsized its catalog. Watch out for the Schreiners' summer sale. If growth has been good you get a chance and many of their cultivars at a cut rate. That too has caused financial disaster for many of us who grow iris. There are many great iris growers, but you can't go wrong with Schreiners.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.