Junipers looking very sad, diseased?

Seward, NE

Here is a pic of my junipers taken today (zone 5). They have never looked this bad.
Does anyone know what they need? I haven't fertilized them or anything.
Could it be some kind of disease?

Please advise.

Di

Thumbnail by Peachykeen
Danville, IN

It could be winter damage, but if you've noticed it in previous years, but not so bad, it's probably the dreaded Phomopsis or Kabatina blight, common to many junipers, especially Juniperus horizontalis and its cultivars. This blight kills young shoots, or even entire branches, and is very prevalent in early spring and wet weather. If your juniper is 'Andorra' aka 'Plumosa' or 'Plumosa Compacta' (a Juniper horizontalis cultivar), I would bet the ranch that it's blight. No cure.... only gets worse...rip 'em out. Sorry!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Just of interest know how old those are??? They were real common back in the 50's but I have no idea how old your house is, old age may just be killing them off.

Seward, NE

They are pretty old, I'm suspecting... the house was built in 1972 and the roots are very thick. I'm going to the nursery tomorrow with pictures to quiz their master gardener. I think you both may be right... they are old and probably have blight.

Sigh... they are really a bummer to dig up.

Di

Danville, IN

The roots aren't usually too bad, shallow actually, but I guess they might be a challenge since the shrubs are so old. Be sure to replace then with something different, as if it is the blight, the soil will harbor the virus.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

personally I'm not a fan of jumiper so I would be ripping them out. Might need a tow chain and truck to rip those out.

Seward, NE

Yep! We used a tow chain and truck to pull out the ones in front of the house that were obscuring a beautiful stone wall. That's how I know they are a bummer to take out and this would be a much bigger job as they line the driveway.

Seward, NE

What should I replace them with if it comes to that? It would have to be deer resistant, low maintenance, and fast growing.

(Zone 6b)

Yews (Taxus sps.) should work well, except maybe the fast growing part. Dwarf variety of Mugo Pine (Pinus mugo) should work well. A bit faster growing than Yew. Also shrub forms of Cypress (Chamaecypris sps.) or shrub forms of Arborvitae (Thuja sps.) should work well for you also. They both tend to be a bit faster growing than Mugo Pine, although it depends on the cultivar too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.