Yellowing leaves on corn

Wylie, TX

I am growing corn in a HEB. I am using coconut coir as my growing medium. My fertilizer is 3-month Miracle Gro (pellets mixed into the mix) supplemented with liquid Miracle gro twice weekly (water can fed). I water through the tube twice weekly.

The leaves are starting to turn yellow (on the bigger plants, about 6" high).

Any ideas?????

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post a picture? Could be anything from too much water to too much fertilizer to some sort of pest/disease. It sounds like they're pretty small seedlings still if they're only 6" high so I think the amt of fertilizer you're giving them could be a bit much. Also with self watering planters like Earth boxes, I would not water it both with the watering can and the reservoir, that could definitely be too much water. When you say you water through the tube, I assume that means you're filling up the self watering reservoir? Are you checking to make sure it needs water added and that you're filling it to the right level when you do that?

Wylie, TX

ecrane,

I've got 2 overflow holes (1/2") on either end of the HEB and fill thru the tube until water overflows. The floor shelf is about 5" from the bottom of the HEB.

I think you're right about overwatering. I figured with the bottom drains that this wouldn't happen but I do have a black thumb. I try pretty hard to use a moisture stick to check if I should water but get a little confused with the concepts of container gardening.

THANKS!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.