Grafted tree: rootball needs trimming

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, folks! I need help here; I don't know what to do with this root growth. For starters I had no idea that trees were grafted just like rose bushes. Who knew?! But here's proof. The grafted tree is some kind of weeping something-or-other. The root ball is not. I am including two pics here; one of the base, another of the tree. Doubtless someone recognizes the root ball base here.

This is year two growth off the root ball. The gardener has trimmed back the suckers, but it is clear that it needs to have the soil (if you can call our hardpan soil) pulled back and the base of the suckers cut, rather than 1-or-more inches above the joint is it appears to have been. I've been advised by a rose grower to pull the suckers off of rose bush grafts, rather than cut them, as such stripping seems to forestall regrowth more surely than cutting with a knife. This growth appears to be too heavy for me to perform such an act.

How would you suggest I manage this? Is there likely to be a heavy knuckle at the base of these suckers which requires some kind of "surgery?" If so, what do I do? Can I cut these suckers off the base with a knife? Picture attached shows the root ball leaf.

Any other wisdom out here? I'm stumped?! (pun intended)

TIA,
Linda

Thumbnail by Twincol
Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

This picture shows the "pruning" by the gardener.

Thumbnail by Twincol
Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Finally, a very poor photo of the tree. Any wisdom you can pass along would be appreciated.

TIA, Linda

Thumbnail by Twincol
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Can you get a close-up of the foliage of the tree? Hard to tell what it is from the pics above, I'm thinking possibly one of the ornamental silver-leaf pears, in which case it would be grafted on a wild pear. Could be very difficult to stop the suckering, unfortunately.

Resin

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have never used it so I have no idea how well it works or if there might be other undesirable side effects, but there is a product called Sucker Stopper which is supposed to help prevent suckering on trees like this. http://www.montereylawngarden.com/faqs/suckerstopper/

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

OK, here it is. Hope this helps.

Linda

PS. Resin, why would someone with the last name "Bartlett" have a pear tree in her backyard? [chuckling]

edited to add: I recall that it was a "Weeping Japanese/Chinese/Asian Something-or-other"

This message was edited May 2, 2009 9:28 AM

Thumbnail by Twincol
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thanks! It's a weeping Purple Willow Salix purpurea 'Pendula'. It'll be grafted on an ordinary willow of some sort - if allowed to grow, the suckers could become large trees.

Resin

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Someone told me to do this and it seems to work on my fruit trees.

When the suckers are under the width a pencil just simply use your thumb nail and pull down on the sucker right up against the trunk. It takes the suckers off cleanly and the trees seem to be getting less and less suckers. Haven't seen a one yet this year. I'm not sure really what to do with your situation. I would probably use a saws all and cut that group of old suckers off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.