Healthy Lifestyles Support Thread May 2 - 9, 2009

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Where has this year gone? It's interesting to hear the various gardening talk. Some of you are well into the season, some are just starting, others like Anna & Sue have a while to go before they even think of planting. I really enjoy reading it all. Gardening is such good exercise and you get the 'fresh' air & Vit. D loaded sunshine too. It has been shown that just 15 minutes of sunlight a day on just the face & hands during the spring, summer & early fall will build up the Vit. D level in the body to last thru the winter. Not that you don't need the sunlight to ward off the dreaded Seasonal Affect Depression that hits during the winter months when there are fewer sunlight hours & we tend to stay inside because of cold/wet weather.

I worked at the store today but not the cafe'. Going to PG for the annual plant sale tomorrow & a chorale performance at the local community college in the evening. Extended family granddaughter Faith is singing in the choir.

I may get rewards in eternity, Vic, but I am getting them by the train car loads every day just having her companionship. As she has been saying for a few years she is finding herself becoming her mother. Poor woman, she is doomed to a life of 'insanity' that no medication can help. LOL I've said for years that my life is like organized insane chaos. But truely we are now so much alike. We both love most of the same veggies, fruits, seasonings, etc. Music & TV tastes are much alike, she is even loving being out in the yarden & looking forward to growing tomatoes, winter squash, southern type greens, green beans, etc. . Which is really funny because as a child a very tiny tomato worm would send her into near hysteria to say nothing of what the sight of a really large one would do to her. I let her pick out some flowers the other day & she is sure she wants some peony trees. She actually has done quite a bit of online research on them. We saw some at my favorite garden center the other day & drove by one we were told about.

I am resigned to people seeing the kitchen floor with nothing on it. Only the black tarry adhesive left by former tile back. Everything needed to do the kitchen is sitting in the garage. The bathroom will hopefully be done. If not, well, we will have done our best. I should have painted some more woodwork tonight but I just couldn't face the mess I always make again. And I couldn't raise my arms enough to do a lot of what needs one more coat.

Anna, I'm sorry to hear you won't be seeing Paris, but frankly where you are going sounds more exciting to me. I hear Paris is really dirty, smelly, and the people not always welcoming toward Americans. They say we are ill mannered. I tend to agree with them in many ways.

I do enough walking at the store to make up for any exercise program I don't do. I do need to do more isometrics than I do daily and need to practice good posture overall. I've been getting lazy about standing and sitting up as straight as I should lately. Proper posture does help somewhat with the lower back pain but doesn't get rid of it all by a long way.

I need to go to bed as we need to leave about 8:30 in the morning. We're taking high protein bars to snack on & may eat at the cafe' if we get a chance. I'll be working but she can walk around the gardens if it isn't raining. Chances of and how much has been downgraded so I'm hopeful for a great sale day. We'll buy some Roma & slicer tomatoes if they have them. Other than maybe more sedums that will probably be the extent of purchases. I don't have a lot to spend & it just doesn't have the appeal to me that former yardening seasons have had. I already have so much that I can't do well taking care of that getting much more doesn't make sense.

GOD bless & keep each of you. ~~~~~, & praying for each of you.

This thread has 47 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!