Gutter Garden

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

This is a fabulous idea:

DIY Vertical Garden with Reclaimed Gutters

"When Suzanne Forsling moved to Juneau Alaska from Iowa, she found that it was a little bit harder to get her garden to grow. Frustrated by cold soil, scarce sunlight, hungry slugs, root maggots, porcupines, cats, bears and ravens she got resourceful. She got her crops off the cold ground and into the light by afixing gutters to the wood siding of her house on the sunny side and using them as planters.

This is really a great space saving idea for those with green thumbs and not enough yard to exercise them. Personally I think these would go great along a deck railing or cut down to be mini-window boxes. So next time someone you know replaces their gutters snatch them up and give them a new lives as planters."

- from StumbleUpon.com, Source: Juneau Empire

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Somewhere else in DG pictures of some free standing gutter gardens were posted. I have it on my list to make one for myself this year. Think of how clean the greens would be when you grow them this way.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is such a cool idea.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very smart

Bixby, OK(Zone 7a)

Ha, ha, very cool idea. I used to live in Juneau so I know exactly what her frustrations are.
: )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.