ID please?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have this growing in my fence line.
I think it could be some sort of fruit tree? It has never had fruit that I remember -that or the critters get it before I realize.
It has a smooth striped bark.
There are several trees there, and they appear to be the same thing, except that a couple have a reddish color on the leaves.
They are growing under a bunch of oaks, so don't get alot of strong sun.
It seems to be a small tree.
There is a sprout there about 18 inches tall, wondering what the chances are of it to survive if I dig it up and put it in my yard?

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

pic of the one with the reddish leaves

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

the bark looks the same on both, they are growing a few feet from each other, only one tree has the flowers, but I suspect that is because it gets a little more sun. there are only a handful of flowers on the tree. the tree is about 8 ft tall or so.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

It's a wild cherry. I looks like chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) or, possibly, black cherry (Prunus serotina).

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to KSB

Resin

I thought some sort of fruit tree. but I have never seen any fruit on them. Is that because they are too shaded? or do they not get fruit? there are several trees, so that would take care of pollinating right?
will it transplant easily? or are they touchy?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Small, inedibly bitter cherries (not called 'chokecherry' for nothing!!) only of interest to birds. But birds do like them, and will take them all as soon as they're ripe (birds don't taste bitterness as a nasty taste the way we do).

Resin

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

I've always liked eating chokecherries right off the tree, but they are a bit of an acquired taste. They do make great jelly, though. We pick 20 - 50 gallons of them for jelly every year (if a late frost doesn't get them). Wild black cherries have a similar taste, maybe a little sweeter.

Your trees probably aren't getting enough sun to bear well. If the sprout is a seedling tree, it will be easy to transplant. If it is a root sucker, you still should be able to move it, but there would be a greater chance of failure.

it is not a sucker, it appears to be a tree of itself and it is shaped nice. It has been raining alot lately, so I am thinking it would be a good time to dig it.
thanks!

Huntersville, NC

choke berry shrubs and their fruit?

I do believe those are ones whose fruit may be eaten in the spring but Not the fall.

It is said the older plant material will cause choking - thus the name, chokeberry.

. . .just a word of caution.

I don't plan on eating any of them anyway, I think I'll leave them for the birdies.

(Zone 6b)

Chokecherry(Prunus virginiana), not Chokeberry (Aronia arbutifolia or A. melanocarpa). 2 quite different plants! Although, I imagine the choke reflex might be induced by eating either one! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.