Garden Photos of '09.... #16

South Hamilton, MA

No trouble with irises in zone 6a & the dwarfs are particularly cold hardy. Lovely gallery Patti!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Now I have the go-a-head for iris I might loose my mind.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lovely pics Sue!
Iris, I love the dwarf ones...I just bought about 5 -6 new ones this year,

South Hamilton, MA

Probably, we do, even though we prefer the smaller ones instead of TBs.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Definitely agree..... Lovely Pics Sue! Love the swallow tail.

Dyane, I love that first Iris picture. Whata strange name!

Lovely Daffs Pixie! What is that 3rd one? The center of it almost (is it called the bell or the trumpet... hmmm) looks translucent I have know idea how growing these is going to go for me as this is the first year that I've ever had them. I have plenty of other types of anemones that grow fantastic, but these look far more delicate. So, we shall see!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Sorry RC...no name for that one!

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Great photos Patti!
Sue I have that same Cowslip Primrose at the same exact point! I love you Quince and I can't beleive you already have a TST! Lovely! I did see a Black Swallowtail yesterday and she was lating eggs close by to some parsley that overwintered. :) No pic though. She was too fast for me!

Thomaston, CT

Really lovely flowers, Dyane! And Sue---love the idea of red containers! Pixie---I only have 1 tulip left because I have chipmunks in that garden---they have totally undermined it! Don't know what to do---Shelley--what kind of hummers do you get? We only get ruby-throats, & an occasional rufous in the fall.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just looked at Snowpeaks Iris
Just dwarfs, a verrrry long list.Good thing theyre small.
Do the early ones bloom w/ tulips?

Port Washington, NY(Zone 7a)

Shelley,
Eye of Newt is from Shakespeare. It from the ingredients in a witches brew in Macbeth.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O that reminds me, I must pick up some more howlet's wings.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Don't forget the adder's fork, while you're shopping. :)
I always enjoyed Shakespeare.

Great idea, using the Folger's container. Does the red really help? I've heard that, but don't know.

Thomaston, CT

My cousin used red plastic under his tomato plants one year---I think the toms were earlier & larger---he didn't think so, so he hasn't used it again. Here is tiarella in the shade garden---

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

Brunnera, also in the shade garden...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

JM leafed out & blossoming....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

And a clump of double tulips...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Ahhhh.... thanks Dyane, that makes sense now. I'm surprised that I didn't make the connection since I love that little part in MacBeth.

Robin, love the brunnera!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Me too Robin, one of my favs! Those double tulips are very nice, chippy didn't get those?

South Hamilton, MA

Early dwarf iris & late tulips can bloom at the same time. Depends on the cultivar of each type--get 'compatable' colors no mattter what & you will have an interesting garden.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I guess I wasn't very observant today....this was blooming in front of the patio doors. DUH!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Close up of the throat.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

And this geranium was in bloom in the basement when I went to get it.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOVE the color on that geranmium.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Jen, I do too. Salmon I think they call it.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice hope my salmon colored geraniums look like that!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Allison.......I just stuck it down cellar( I have a daylight basement) in Nov. and watered it once a month. Auntie does the same thimg but she just has small basement windows, and hers bloom too. She leaves for Florida the 1st of Nov. and returns the 1st of April, they just sit there all that time. Amazing little plants.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I brought some of mine in.... and a few from Michele... only one is not showing signs of life so far... I am impressed ... they go no light until I turned the plant lights on in feb... same goes with that Plectranthus I bought last year... now I know it's a relative of mint & coleus... I know more and more cuttings are in order.. it was such a great fall bloomer... and the hummies loved it!... any flower that blooms in the shade is a winner here

Lovely pics Pixie!

I just notice this the other day and was really surprised to find it over in the dogs' pen. It does cheer it up a bit there. But, I'm thinking that I might really enjoy it more if it were in one of the flower beds

Thumbnail by redchic01

White anemone

Thumbnail by redchic01

bluish purple anemone.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good morning RC
Nice anemones.I dont have much blooming but the anemone sylvestres has nice leaves.Lots o' heucheras and hostas still comming on. Love everyones pictures.

Thanks!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love the blue!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

BBeautiful BBlue BBloom!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Ah yes, any flower thats blue has my vote! ^_^

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I agree, stunning color. Patti

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Dahlianut said: O that reminds me, I must pick up some more howlet's wings.

I barbecue them Buffalo style.

Thomaston, CT

Sounds yummy---LOL---no, the chippies are in my big per. bed---those tulips are against my garage. I bought 4 trellises from Ocean State, placed them against the garage, & now have roses & clems growing on them---will get some photos later.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Primrose, I have them on our daily menu board in our kitchen, always. But not many takers in the 20 years we have had it posted. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.