Foxtail Palms

noonamah, Australia

I read somewhere a while back that Foxtails would grow down as far as Melbourne. Just wondering whether anyone had direct knowledge, one way or the other. Whether perhaps they're only for pots and indoors in winter (while they're still small). Or just outright a non-goer there.

Thanks for any information or ideas.

noonamah, Australia

That's Wodyetia bifurcata, in case there's another palm called Foxtail as well.

Sunshine Coast, Australia

I can send you a few plants if you wish to try growing them

Keaau, HI

Hi Tropicbreeze, Foxtail Palms, are very adaptable plants; their natural habitat is in loose granitic sandy soil in north-eastern Queensland, which is tropical, but they can handle sub-tropical conditions.

They need to be well drained and can handle hot sun when they are young. They should not be kept in pots for very long, as it can stunt their growth.

Aloha, Dave

townsville, Australia

Good morning tropic breeze, if you would like to send me a dmail with you address i will happily send you seeds if you would like to try them down there.
shell

noonamah, Australia

Thanks everyone, I was sending them to my sister in Melbourne as mine keep dropping seeds and some are sprouting, but I've run out of people here to give them away to. I ended up sending her some so will find out in due course whether they are okay there.

north coast nsw, Australia

Theres also a fishtail palm, different but similar. Don't know real name or anything about it.

noonamah, Australia

Breeindy, you're thinking of Caryota mitis, perhaps. Known as Clumping Fishtail Palm.

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi All,

I am in zone 10 and my Foxtail Palm grows outside and in witer it can get below 0, but my Foxtail Palm always looks healthy and gives me oof shoots too.

Debi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.