What to do when clems arrive beat and broken...

Baton Rouge, LA

Newbie question here... but what should I do to maximize the recuperation of clems that arrived totally beaten up and broken at my doorstep. Apparently, shipping on a Friday makes people very, very careless. They crammed 17 clems in ONE box (seriously, I'm not kidding). There was no protection between the clems and the clems were not individually wrapped. They arrived with all but three of the top sticks broken, a mangle of vines, twist ties, roots and dirt in the center of the box, and broken liners on all. I've read that you should disturb the roots as little as possible when planting, but obviously these roots have been disturbed plenty already! So, what can I do to make sure these recover? Also, three of them arrived with literally nothing green left on top. It had all been broken off during the wild ride to my house.

I'm blaming this on Friday packing simply because this is my second order from this company and the first arrived in pristine condition. The first order had ten plants. I called the company and then sent an email with photos to the retail manager. I was told via phone that "Well, that's the way we pack wholesale plants...." to which I replied, "I paid RETAIL." I'll post how all of this comes out.... but in the meantime, any advice on how to help the clems would be very appreciated! Ev

P.S. - The pic is of the beautiful Josephine that arrived blooming from another vendor... I snipped it off after the photo, but I couldn't resist posting it!

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

If it was me I'd request replacements for all of them - that is ridiculous! I do so much ordering online from various vendors and never had an issue like that. When I have plants that does not survive longer than a month, I request replacements and have never had any issues or questions asked...

Delaware, OH

first of all, experienced clem folks will tell you that there can be little corrrelation to certain visual factors of a root, except size, and performance in the second year. there are so many variables, and clems that look great do not mean a guaranteed success. that comment is more in response to sending them back after a month. many clems i have put in have died back after planting and take longer than a month to start regrowing.

that said, if you have ordered from the vendor before and neatness of shipping, size of root etc is different, why wouldn't you complain AND post the info to alert your clempals to the quality of the shipment?

consistency is part of a business's success and reflects well on everything to do with perception of quality, even if the root would be affected by the variables you mention on this shipment. quality perception is very important. results of the roots, especially small ones that even could be packed 17 to a box, depend on other factors.

liners should not be broken, vines should be trimmed before shipping actually....and i know you are aware with such small plants you have to be extra careful in locating and caring for the plant..

Baton Rouge, LA

I agree that consistency is part of a business' success, but when I have problems with a vendor, I wait until it is worked out before I post the name of the vendor or the results to Garden Watchdog. It would be unfair of me to post the name without giving the vendor a chance to resolve the matter because another reader may view my comments but never return to read the outcome. I don't want to be guilty of providing anyone with just half of the story. I do not know how the manager will respond to the situation. It could be that she is just as shocked by the shipment as I was. It could that she tells me "Too bad, so sad." Until I know how she is going to respond, I think it best to remain silent on the company involved. As I said above, I will post how all of this comes out.

In the meantime, I was hoping for advice on any special steps I can take with the stressed clems. I have read about all sorts of concoctions... epsom tea, etc... and didn't know if any of these would be a good idea in the current situation. When a rose is severely stressed on arrival, I know what to do. Since I'm new to clems, I hoped for advice from all you seasoned clem gardeners!

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009 4:33 PM

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh I agree Guru on the clems, I was referring to other types of plants, tropicals etc :-)

Delaware, OH

the order sounds messy , but that is no evidence of root quality. (altho liner size always something to deal with, but you knew what liner size you were ordering)
they need to be pruned off when planted, so vine damage not really instrumental to success.
i agree posting on watchdog before resolution being offered or handled by company maybe not nice, but i think when we have issues like this if we post we should share source within forum.
just my opinion folks. everybody has their own standards to guide them!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

re: the relative merits of a forum post versus the Watchdog.

Pros to forum posts:

1) You can have back-and-forth conversation, ask questions, and solicit advice from fellow members.

2) In a forum, it's a relatively small group you're speaking to. (But never forget that thousands can be reading/lurking, or stumble upon your post months or years later.)

Cons to forum posts:

1) Back-and-forth conversations can lead to arguments if you have strong opinions for and against a particular vendor.

2) A "mob mentality" can form against a vendor. Even a single negative comment can stir a vendor to weigh in and defend themselves, usually resulting in self-promotion or a flame war--both of which will ultimately land at least one poster in hot water with admin.

3) Forum posts are permanent, but they tend to fade away, and newer posts eventually push the older ones off the first page, and further into the recesses of history. Random comments are scattered here and there, making it difficult for someone to form a true picture of a vendor's reputation.

4) Overly enthusiastic members (sometimes acting at the behest of overly aggressive vendors) can be perceived as "shilling" for a vendor. That ultimately leads to friction among members and/or other vendors, and it lessens the helpfulness of a forum if a high percentage of the posts seem to be nothing more than "plugs" for a particular vendor. When two vendors become pitted against each other, a forum can turn decidedly nasty. (I suspect that's why other gardening sites used to absolutely forbid the mention of ANY commercial vendor, even though that would make a lot of gardening conversations nearly impossible.)

Pros to the Garden Watchdog:

1) It's a free feature, so it has a much bigger audience you can help educate by sharing what you know. Conversely, you can learn a lot from others' reviews when you're considering buying from an untried vendor.

2) It can be searched and browsed by company name, location, category, etc. It's much easier to find a summary of a vendor's history in the Watchdog than culling through forum posts.

3) Vendors can respond/rebut to feedback without turning it into a flame war. Other customers can also give their opinion of the vendor without turning it into an argument between members who disagree about a particular vendor.

4) The Watchdog is a powerful force in the mail order gardening world. We hear frequently from vendors: good vendors praising the feature and thanking us for the free word-of-mouth; bad ones pleading with (or trying to threaten) us to make their feedback go away.

Cons to the Watchdog:

1) Charges of unfair criticisms are always difficult. In our guidelines, we encourage posters to try to work things out with a company before posting a negative review, and if they are being critical, they should remain factual and constructive. Even with that, it's sometimes hard to get posters to understand and accept responsibility for their words, or get vendors to understand that we can't censor and "vet" comments for them.

2) It's not a venue for dialogue between posters, so if someone has a question for the vendor, they should contact the vendor. If they have a plant ID, where-to-buy, or what-do-I-do-with-this-plant question, the forums are definitely the best place for that.

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

And sometimes too much analysis can place a damper on an otherwise pleasant pastime.

I agree with ClematisGuru re: a civil dialogue within the forum threads. I think almost all of us are able to gauge the value of comments and circumstances about the various vendors. Everyone gets a bad shipment now and then, but exchanging information is helpful and should always be taken and given with a "for what it's worth" approach. In fact, a bad shipment that is followed up with a helpful and satisfactory resolution can be a great selling point for a vendor. The individual threads within the forum don't replace or surplant the wonderful Garden Watchdog, but the dialogue - if allowed to continue - does add considerably to the enjoyment of this website.

Baton Rouge, LA

Quoting:
In fact, a bad shipment that is followed up with a helpful and satisfactory resolution can be a great selling point for a vendor.

Exactly! That's why I'm waiting until resolution is complete before posting vendor details. I always appreciate getting the whole story and not just half of it... so I'm waiting until a complete story regarding the vendor's shipment and response can be posted. In the meantime, I had hoped to get advice on how to resurrect those that were damaged, which was the purpose of this thread. Someone was kind enough to email me with info on that, and I'm happy to say that the clems are responding nicely at this point. The manager had told me to wait 7-10 days after planting and then call back with details of any plants that still showed stress; she would replace any that I wanted at that time. I will be writing back to her on Monday with that info, so I'll post details after the transaction (any needed replacements, etc.) is completed.

Delaware, OH

thanks mocat mom. you said what i meant better than i did for sure.
right now i just had the last of my ssv delivered so i fresh comparison of koi, ssv and brushwood.
pleased with all, koi very very small liners, but growing and green i have seen far worse if most of them make it i'd day they are a good value for those that know what they are doing an don't mind the extra year added to sleep leap creep theory.
ssv root soo heavy. i can't plant till later today(believe it or not , i work for a living and have conference calls lined up this afternoon)
brushwood order in great shape, as i posted last night.
this is like xmas an B-day all in one big happy clem fest!

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

CG-how did your Koi order arrive? UPS, FedEx or USPS?

Happy Clem Day!

Delaware, OH

ooh, post office i think. yes post office for sure. tiny little clems, but all the ones i ordered.

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

Gracias, mi amiga

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.