Another Nameless Beauty - HELP ; )

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello!!

I know what a pain this can be, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it!! Do you happen to know the name of this iris. I bought it in a mix lot this year and it has decided to bloom for me! YEAH!! It has a wonderful grape scent that just fills the porch. ; ) Any clues would be helpful! If you need more pics - let me know. A second bloom has opened on the same stalk and wow - the smell mixed in with honeysuckle - how divine!! Thank you for all of your help!!

Dana

PS - I just saw the post about iris class and it reminded me about this: Spathe (I am learning my terms) is white and looks like the crepe paper. If you need pics - let me know.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by emeraldsgarden
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Dana, Your Iris looks to me like an Austin iris named "Autumn Rosemist from 1960. Go on Hips-roots.com and look at the irises and let me know what you think. BEV

That does look like her! Yeah - thank you and that was fast!! ; ) See, I have about 40 noids right now and more to come. I know not all will be able to identify, but it is neat when someone can put a name to them!! It makes it easier for me when I go to buy irises!! LOL Thank you again and I am fixing to have another iris open - I am not sure if it will be the same, but I sure hope it has the fragrance!

Dana ; )

Here is a pic of the second bloom open

Thumbnail by emeraldsgarden
South Hamilton, MA

Papery spathe (white) shows its ancestry to be I. pallida.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

IrisMA, Do all the Iris that have tissue paper covers on the unopened bloom belong to the Pallida family? Thanks BEV

South Hamilton, MA

Mostly, certainly ones from the species, but they can be a mix of pallida & the more recent plants--different spaeths in the same cross perhaps, they were changing. You could cross back to species now & show some of the charcteristics. People may wish to cross for fragrance for example as there have been complaints that the trait has disappeared.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you. that explains a lot. BEV

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.