Hosta Musings

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Hey, I was hoping to start a thread where you all would just post what is looking good in you garden today, what you find odd, etc. I really like looking at everyone's pictures.

This is my favorite hosta du jour, Cathedral Windows.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I can practically hear this frog thinking, "You can't see me!"

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Rainforest Sunrise about to get eaten by Sum & Substance.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

These are my 2yr old babies out in the 2baby beds outside. Look at that yellow one. YIPY !!!!! BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Not much to see here yet ... I'll have to wait to post until some hostas unfurl.

Love the little frog ... what hosta is he sitting on?

Sandy

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Bressingham Blue after 8 yrs of babing. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Carnival comeing on strong.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Choo Choo Train

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Love the pics. Like Sandy said, a bit early for us though my Obsession and Cracker Crumbs are both unfurling. Save the pic with the frog for the photo contest.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Fragrant Bouquet.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Fried Bananas

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Frosted Jade

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Love the frog pic! He looks so cute and content snuggled in there.

Nothing to show here yet, either. They are all taking their sweet time.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Orange Marmalade looks so pretty in the spring!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Brother Stefan was new last year...was glad that he came back!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Key Lime Pie was new last year too. It is planted in memory of my dad. His favorite dessert was Key Lime Pie!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Ooh La La is two years old...looking much better this year!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

June...what more do you need to say!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Don't you just love JUNE!!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Little Sunspot

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Stained Glass

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

No wonder there have been few pics lately- didn't occur to me that everyone's hostas were not up. I have about 75 varieties and they've all emerged. Only one bit the dust- 'Revolution.' Temps here are already in the mid 80s and it's only dropping into the 60s at night.

I think the frog is on 'Frances Williams.' The squirrels have played havoc with my labels this year.

Jenny

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm clearly gonna have to get me an Orange Marmalade. How many eyes on your Brother Stephan? Mine was new last year, but it still has just one eye. Sorry about the lost Revolution. Sandy will be happy to know that the eye she gave me of Revolution two years ago after mine died now has three eyes. Not open yet, but up!

Brother Stefan is 3 eyes ..just had to go look!

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Man, you fellow zone 5'ers are so far ahead of me- you're killing me! I think we desperately need some rain to make stuff start to happen.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Nanny you are only half a zone warmer than me and your 'Orange Marmalade' looks a lot better than mine does! Mine was planted last year and is coming back as two puny eyes. I wonder if I need to move it, it is right under a maple and the other hosta planted close to it, 'Barbara Ann' appears not to have made it. Maybe that one spot is just not hospitalable because of the maple. Hostas ten feet away are doing great and up much higher.

Elizabeth

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

We've had a ton of rain this past week, but it has been COLD - 40's and such. I think that slowed a few things down. Some of my hostas showed pips earlier than others but they are really taking their sweet time to emerge. It seems like 'Gunther's Prize' shot up tremendously, but 'Jack of Diamonds' and 'Jimmy Crack Corn' are not much higher this week than they were two weeks ago.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Elizabeth, It takes everything lots more time under a Maple because of the trees shallow roots taking all the water Sum & Substance uncurling three yrs old.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Too much rain making my White Feathers sick. Should I take them out and pot them up for the summer?? BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

I am in zone 5b but I am very close to the edge of 6a. So I am finding it does make a bit of a difference than when I lived about 45 miles farther north.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

dragonfly62 - I'd watch White Feathers for a short time and if it doesn't dry up, yes, I think I would pot it.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It has been pouring and they look worse so will pot up today!! Thanks BEV

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I didn't think you could get too much rain for hostas! Poor White Feathers. :(

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I love seeing fresh hosta pics! Thanks for sharing everyone! I need to get out there and get some pics!

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Hawkeye

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

'So Sweet' has some funky leaves this year.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Jewel of the Nile

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

These were both in one pot labeled 'Paul's Glory.' I split it up when I bought it. Now I have three of the yellow, and two of the one with more green. Any ideas which one is actually Paul's Glory because I see pictures of both under that name.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

The one in the front looks like my Paul's Glory - it has a wider margin. The back one looks like Gold Standard to me.

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I was gonna say the other way around until I looked at my pics from last year.

Borders - I think the key thing with moisture for hostas is really good drainage. I had one last year that got into a spot of clay soil and started dropping leaves. It spent the rest of the summer in a pot.

I'd be VERY interested in seeing how your So Sweet develops during the season.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.