How do you graf a scrub to make it tree form

Underwood, MN(Zone 4a)

I want to experiment and try to graf a shrub to make it a tree form == like those pee gee Hydrangea -- thought it could be fun, but don't have any idea how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This message was edited Apr 29, 2009 5:36 PM

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
I'm not sure if you mean that you want to prune a shrub so it will have a tree shape, or that you want to graft a plant that has a tree form onto one that has a shrub form. If you already know that you have plants with the genetics to allow them to be grafted then have a look at this site for methods of achieving it. You will have to wade down through the other messages to see all that is there.
If I have misunderstood your question then please put me right.
Regards Brian

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/955451/

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009 7:15 AM

Underwood, MN(Zone 4a)

Thank you so much ==now I need the courage to try it.

Anna Mae

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Practice the procedures on pieces of wood taken from plants where waste is not a concern. This allows you to see if your knife is sharp enough for the job and lets you practice the various cuts until you get them right without wasting your stock an scion with a once only operation. You'll find that you have a lot more confidence knowing that the wood that you are practicing on has no real value. Don't forget to match the cambium layers because this is vital to success.
Brian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.