Helping my little tree breathe

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Since I started reading and watching videos about caring for trees and how many are planted too deeply, I noticed all the trees on this property (townhouses) look like telephone poles :( Especially sad are the large oaks between the backs of the houses, but I've already requested the acting HOA (not a real HOA yet) look into a tree service. For our own little Linden, I have started removing the layers and layers of mulch from the trunk, and yesterday removed a little mud and some small circling roots. Here is a picture of what I have so far. It's clear there were some things cut off the tree very low down at some point. Any advice on how to proceed from tree people out there?

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

A pic from the other side.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

And I don't like the looks of the juniper, looks too close to the tree to me.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Fifty-two views and no help. Am I doing something wrong?

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I'm looking because I'm curious to see if you got an answer :) I don't know either, but I see this problem everywhere near me (so frustrating!).

(Zone 6b)

OK, I'll offer my advice. Once you pull the mulch back away from the bark and expose the root flair a bit, just keep an eye on it and don't let them put more mulch right up against the trunk of the tree again. Or if they do, pull it back again. I personally don't like non-organic mulches, like that rubber pad shown in the last photo. They just don't break down and improve the soil and add nutrients like organic mulches do, but they do smother out any weeds and keep the soil moist. I don't think the Juniper is too close. If the tree develops a good canopy it will likely end up killing the Juniper by shading it out though. But that's years down the road.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

The photos were taken after the mulch was pulled away and some soil was removed, and I'm not sure I see any root flare yet. Should I keep digging (carefully)? The round mat hides the hole around the tree so the landscapers don't try to fill it in. What they can't see they won't try to fix.

(Zone 6b)

No, I think you've taken enough away to expose the root flair. The things cut off look to be suckers, which generally occur from right near the root flare.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.