Cleaning Amaryllis seeds

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I have a ton of Amaryllis seeds. This is the first time I've collected them. At first I thought that the "seed' was the whole black disc thingie...but I notice as they are drying that the seed is actually inside that disc. These are so papery and delicate that I'm concerned about how to clean the seed from the disc. Or do you not worry about that with these. I'm planning on doing some trading w/ them later so want to clean them properly.
Thanks for advice
mj

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Leave the disc.

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

MJS,

I found some great info through Googls on germinating Amaryllis seed and have just recently had 2 of them actually sprout.

I am trying daffodil seeds as soon as the pods brown up. I left the disc on the amaryllis seed and just placed them up on their edge in potting soil.

I just throw them into a jar of water and clean the water, and add peroxide every couple of days. Works quite well.

I'm not going to germinate them. These are ones off of my plants, and I have enough of them !! haha....just want to do some trading w/ them, so wondered how best to clean for that.
Thanks !

Don't do anything. Just open up the pod and you're ready to go.

Thank You! haha...I have enough w/ fussy pipevines and passi's....don't need to add to the mix!

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

mjsponies, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of amaryllis seed are yours? What color etc... I would be interested in some of them if you intend to sell. Julia

It's Goliath...
D-mail me.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Did you hand pollinate?

hand pollinate? No, these are bulbs that we've had for over 25 years. I guess babies of babies ? They produce huge flowers and tons of seeds. No other Amaryllis on the property.

I see. Just wondered what they had been crossed with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.