New with Clematis, HELP!

Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

I just received my four Clematis, two Niobes , Kingfisher, and Will Godwin. As I read these threads, I realize how much I don't know about them. First ,what does it mean when you say numbers 1 2 or 3 in describing them ? Does it mean how many years they have been growing? Mine are very small. They look so fragile. How long do I wait to put them in the ground? I really want mine to do good.Any advice from this forum would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks-Lynda

Thumbnail by Lynda_45

2nd pc.

Thumbnail by Lynda_45

How long does it usually take for them to be considered mature and flowering?
Thanks again for any advice.
Lynda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Clematis are seperated into 3 groups 1,2,3 or A,B,C, The group will tell you how to prune your plants. Nothing to do with age.
I could think you could plant yours any time now.
You should plant them several inches deeper than the level in your pots.
Check out some of the references in the Clematis sticky - there is lots of information here. You could also look up your plants at Clematis on the Web which is an alpabetical index of almost every clematis existing.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Lynda, I'm also a beginner as far as growing clems. I bought my first ones last spring and they were all small plants. I had no idea what I was doing and certainly didn't know to dig such a large hole for them. They're doing amazingly well considering.

This year, I've planted probably about 20 already. I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned from this forum. My personal advice would be to read through as many threads on this forum as possible and take notes. Many people who post here regularly have a lot of experience and really know what they are doing. They have been very patient with my questions and very helpful.

Rarely does a night go by that I don't visit a couple of websites as well. Fancyvan mentioned one great site. Also, Debbie has planting and pruning tips at www.silverstarvinery.com and lots of beautiful photos. You might also read the material on the website for American Clematis Society and the International Society. Several people advised me to try to plant Group 3's as a beginner. They must be easier to grow. However, many of the liners I have bought locally are Group 2's. Lowe's doesn't seem to carry a lot of Group 3's. I put some of the smaller ones in one-gallon pots and trimmed them back to give the roots a chance to develop. In some cases, I've planted a smaller one with a much bigger plant that I ordered. I was told that when I pair them to make sure they are in the same group because of pruning requirements.

You may end up getting addicted to buying clems as I have done since joining DG. Have fun! Hope this helps.

Baton Rouge, LA

Another piece of advice I would give you is to pick up a clematis guide at your local library. Two I would recommend are "Simply Clematis" (by Edith Malek, President of ACS) and the "American Horticulatural Society's Practical Guide: Clematis." The second one is published by Dorling Kindersley and is written in VERY easy terms with lots of pictures and advice on how to get started growing them correctly... which as a beginner I truly appreciate!

Delaware, OH

read read read, stay on the forum and start buying and planting to get your own experience curve. you can judge a potted clem as to readiness to be uppotted or planted out by the fact it should be fully rooted out within the container to go to next stage. you should see roots at the bottom thru the holes indicating it is ready for the next step.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.