A Picture in my hallway

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

This is a picture that my mother gave me when she moved. She's not sure where it came from, as she and Dad used to flea market and attend auctions alot before he passed. The only thing she could say was that if they had bought it at auction or market, they wouldn't have paid much for it. I believe it is in the original frame, as the picture is held in with small nails spaced about 1" or so apart all the way around. There is also a brown protective paper on the back, with a wire to hang it stretched across the back. It is approx. 21" X 28", not sure what type of paint was used as I haven't removed it from the frame. Signed at the bottom by 'Wm Payne', not William. I researched a William Payne who died in 1830's, it is comparable to his type of theme, but didn't find a listing for this particular scene. I have not removed the paper off the back as it is very old and easily torn. I had to tape the paper together when I moved as I was concerned it would tear more. Research on the art sites ask for $$ membership, so I have not found anymore on this artist. Do any of you know Payne or have any of his works?

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009 3:33 PM

Thumbnail by Kizmo
This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!