Advice for Blue Angel

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello! First time poster here on the Clematis board. I decided I wanted to purchase a clematis for my mom for Mother's Day. She bought one a couple of years ago and it didn't make it. I'm not sure of the variety, but I think it got choked out my liriope and probably the soil was not well amended. She's not much of a gardener (great w/ houseplants, though!), but she's always wanted a clematis on her mailbox. So I figured I'd get one for her and plant it myself and it would get a good start. I went to a local nursery and they didn't have a large variety. I ended up with a healthy-looking Blue Angel. Then when I did a little searching around on here, it seems that it can get wilt easily. I didn't realize clematis could be difficult. I have a jackmanii that is so huge and beautiful every year. I do absolutely nothing for it, and it's just wonderful! So it must be one of the easier varieties. They didn't have that at the nursery I went to. Can you give me some advice for Blue Angel? My mom is here in GA, zone 7b. Or since my mom is a newbie, would I be better off returning Blue Angel and looking for a Jackmanii somewhere else?

Thanks!

Delaware, OH

I do not think Blue angel is a wilty clem. depends if you are talking green wilt, (spring droop form variable temp damage and fast growth), brown wilt, not enough water...other wise tired plant, or black wilt (fungal).
keep blue angel, it is a unique clem. to me it wilts less than jackmanii.
here is 4 year old blue angel

ps get a jackmanii too!

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Delaware, OH

ps the bloom in the middle that looks different is a violet elizabeth who grew over that way in addition to her own space.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.