Lilacs and Forsythia together?

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello all.
I have just planted a row of forsythia and was thinking about moving my very tiny (6 or 7" high) lilacs to the same area. Planting them in front of the forsythia maybe.
Can you please give me your opinions?
I don't have any full sun to put them in, only afternoon sun.
Thanks in advance!
Lora B.

Danville, IN

Lilacs need more sun than forsythia, for sure, if you want them to bloom. Don't put them too close together as both plants will get pretty wide at maturity. The lilacs will eventually get taller, but the forsythia will grow faster, shading the smaller lilacs if the forsythia are on the "sunny side". Either plant the lilacs in back and keep the forsythia trimmed lower until the lilacs grow taller, or plant the lilacs in front. Either way, give them room or you'll be yanking plants out in five years.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the reply!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Lilacs also sucker so if you have them too close, pretty soon your forsythia may be lost in a lilac jungle!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Forsythia is pretty good at expanding as well, as it roots where draping branches touch the ground.
Could be a slugfest.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Ack! I've already moved the lilacs to a row behind the forsythia. They are so small that I'm sure I can pick them up again if I find another place to plant them.
Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.