Killing weeds that are growing in the Iris

Greenacres, WA

I have a question I was given some Iris last year and the problem I am having is they are now weeds growing in them is there any way to kill the weeds without killing the Iris? Thank You

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I think all you can do is pull them while the ground is wet. That is how I keep mine out. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Same here, I use needle nosed pliers for pulling those hard to reach weeds.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Never thought of that Happy. Thanks BEV

Greenacres, WA

THANK YOU THE NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS SOUND GOOD I'LL GIVE IT A TRY.
SINCE I AM DISABLED I HOPE I CAN DO IT.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Marcia, I too am disabled, and do my gardening from my Jazzy. Since I don't have much strength in my hands, the only way I CAN pull weeds is with the pliers. I also use a hula hoe. I know our neighbors must think I'm strange as I scoot around the yard with a hoe in one hand and the other hand on the joystick. I have so much fun in the garden! ^_^

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Greenacres, WA

Thanks so much I was hoping that the weeds would not get so many inside the Irises.

South Hamilton, MA

Of course the weeds wind around the rhizomes--that's what weeds do!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Yes, it seems to be they're duty! ^_^ We'll just wind around these neat spongy things and make the gardener mad.

Greenacres, WA

dragonfly62 You do such a nice job of no tall weeds fantastic your picture is very nice.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much. That is the first bed I work on in the Spring. I have lost too many Iris to weeds and leaves keeping them wet. I am in the process of starting a new historic Iris bed. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Greenacres, WA

how would you make a historic Iris bed and what does it mean? Do you mean they are from old iris stock?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I just joined the Historic Iris Preservation Society. Right now they are considered historic if they are 30 yrs old and older but that may change soon since a lot of the last two generations seem to not care about plants as much as we did in our day. I have all historic ones except the last row which is only 2yr old rebloomers. I am asking people for starts of theirs and going to old cemetaries and places I see some and no one is taking care of them. They are too pretty and fragrant to let disappear. hips-roots.com BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.