Purple leaved Ninebark-Do you like it?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Saw some really pretty purple leaved ninebarks at nursery this weekend. The leaf underside was a wonderful silver/blue color so they were awesome in wind. Thought they might look good mixed with some Junipers (Skyrocket?). My main question is they said "sun to partial sun" and this location is full sun. Will they hold up in Missouri sun and heat? Any pest or other issues you've had problems?

Also, in your experience how wide are they really getting? I don't trust plant tags LOL

Danville, IN

The relatively new purple-leaved ninebarks are great landscape plants! There are a few cultivars out now, the first being 'Diablo' which has been available for a at least 8 years. Purple ninebarks are promoted as a replacement for sandcherry (a.k.a. purple-leaf plum & cistena plum) which is a Japanese Beetle magnet. Ninebarks are attractive, pest-free shrubs for sure. They should be in full-sun for best color, and thrive in Zones 2 to 7. All have white/pinkish flower clusters in early summer, followed by reasonably attractive reddish fruit. Ninebarks are adaptable to difficult situations, resembling a large spirea in growth, very tough and withstands acid and alkaline soils. The dark purple bark exfoliates attractively. In really hot summers, purple ninebarks loose some of their coloration, but still are decent looking. 'Diablo' gets large, to 8' tall and wide. Smaller varieties include 'Summer Wine' (5'-6') and 'Inner Glow' (same). The latter one has a golden "glow" to the new leaves as they grow during spring and summer, deepening to purple. All ninebarks withstand shearing, and can even be cut to the ground if they get out of hand. They also are available grafted to a standard. I like them, and I bet you would too.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow! Thanks for the practical info! I'm off to see which purple it was LOL and to look for grafted standards :)

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I have 2 in full sun and they love it!
I love these!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

and one more pic

Never any disease, bug, perfect plants!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a couple ninebarks in your identical St Louis heat-a-thon.
I'm not sure I can accurately answer your question, since none of mine is really in full sun.
I have the same anxiety about plants that supposedly like 'full sun' wilting in out version of 'full sun',
so I planted mine in partial sun situations.
Though none of mine is in true, unadulterated full sun,
in my experience, the more sun exposure, the better the performance.
So, maybe full sun is really the right exposure for these guys.
Let us know you it goes.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

We've had 'Diablo' in the gardens for about 10 years and have planted 'Coppertina', 'Dart's Gold' and 'Summer Wine' in recent years. Even though the latest cultivars have their own unique qualities (foliage color, compact habit, etc.) 'Diablo' is still at the top of my list!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I've got Diablo in a part-sun situation. Some of the canes produce green leaves, others purple-black. Fast grower. I've always enjoyed it, though it's no serviceberry. :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks everybody for great input! It is big help. I never trust plant tags much LOL

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I too enjoyed everyone's input; just planted a small 'Coppertina', and am looking forward to seeing it establish and grow.
Ruth

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I may have ruined my Diablo / Dart's Gold ninebarks.
I planted them near each other for the contrast.
They grew fine. Then I severely pruned each to near the ground.
The idea was to form larger more colorful leaves while keeping more compact shrubs.
The method has worked well for my smoke bushes, catalpas, chinese parasol, etc.
But instead of rejuvenating, neither has sprung back over 2 seasons.
They're both alive, but just a small cluster of leaves around the coppiced stems. I'm talking 6 inches...
It seems the experiment was a disaster. Neither plant enjoyed the experience. Obviously, I feel remorse.
Has anyone else had success cutting ninebarks to the ground for rejuvenation?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't grow them myself, but I've read in a number of places that they respond well to that sort of pruning, so I wonder if there's another problem going on?

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Hmmm, that is odd, I have hard pruned mine too, and they do good.
I do it gradually though, 5 inch at a time over the whole summer.

CC

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I hard pruned a few of the stems on mine early this spring. So far I haven't seen new stems shooting forth, but I haven't looked closely. The old stems have grown and are leafing out nicely (but green, not black!).

Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

I planted 2 about 5 years ago. I brought them home in the back seat of my Corolla and now they are huge. The birds, snakes, cats dogs love these all season long. They provide cover and shade. Mine are in full sun. next to a birdbath and in winter the birds feeders. Ten or so birds hop from the feeders back and fdorth into these shrubs all day long. I was lucky enough to find two lime green ones and I planted them 3 years ago next to these. All are doign fabulously and make a massive privacy screen. These are some of my favorite shrubs. Mkae sure to give these lots of room. I have four side by side but one would make a great speicmen.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

This is a late reply to Weerobin's woes...

Have these rejuvenated plants recovered yet? Or are they still paltry?

If still wee...do you dare dig them up? I wonder if you got these as container plants. If so, you may have inherited a severe root congestion problem when they were planted, which wasn't as big an issue before you cut them back hard.

Once the plants were cut back, if the roots haven't colonized much of the surrounding soils then there would be far less stored energy to push dormant buds into new stems. Just a thought, but this could be an explanation.

Good enough reason to do an autopsy on poor performers.

Dahlonega, GA

I have the coppertina , diablo, and a solid green . Just want you to know they are in sun most of the day but one green is in shade . all are doing fine and they root from cuttings so easy .The diablo and coppertina are patented . Not supposed to sell ,but all my friends have my cuttings . Pictures if you want . digger

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

V V, sorry for delayed response. Been away for a while.
Sad to say, my ninebarks are as puny as ever.
I'm just going to remove them.
I suspect they're not getting enough sun.
I won't yank them 'til fall.
For now, I'm too busy trying to rescue countless other poor plants from rampant weeds,
hungry varmints, inappropriate siting, and sheer neglect...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
For now, I'm too busy trying to rescue countless other poor plants from rampant weeds, hungry varmints, inappropriate siting, and sheer neglect...

We ought to form a club...

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I have Coppertina and Summer Wine. They're both great, but Coppertina is exquisite. I have about seven of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.