Will Siberian Iris do well near Blueberries?

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Can I plant Siberian Iris in the bed were my blueberries are? This section is fertilized twice yearly with Holly Tone for the blueberries, which have been there for many years and are thriving. So conditions are right for them. I do not spray this bed with any insecticides, I just pick and eat my blueberries when ripe. I do have some serviceberries in there otherwise, thats it. I have no idea if Siberians could take the acid soil conditions. The soil is very rice and full of peat and compost. Thanks!

South Hamilton, MA

siberians like acid soil--% unknown here.

I know your supposed to put some peat in there when you plant the Siberians and I plan to do that when my new plants come this week. None are planned to go in that blueberry bed. But putting some peat is different from fertilzing with acid fertilzer like holly tone twice a year. I also usually put iron sulfate around those blueberries in the fall. They love it. I just don't know if its too much for anything else.

South Hamilton, MA

Follow the planting instructions which come with the plants; we have never used peat, but make our own compost with leaves & garden soil.

Lebanon, OR

Hi Lucy that is what we do as well. Or buy compost from the recycler if I can see they have heated it enough to kill anything and chipped it and screened. Most of the time they do, if not I go to another source here.

D

Any blooms yet Lucy

Well, lots of compost already in the soil were they will be planted. My garden beds are heavy in compost. I will add more as I go along for each hole I dig for each plant. I am sure they will do very well here. Just don't know about that blueberry bed but I was out there looking at it thinking that a row of siberians going accross the entire front of the blueberry bed would look so very nice in bloom.

South Hamilton, MA

I. pumila seedlings are blooming--it has been too hot for them, afraid they will close up. A couple of MDBs starting--for this thread the siberians wont't be in bloom until the end of May.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Rita, absolutely!

I was walking around the garden early this afternoon when the idea hit me. I thought gee, what if I could put Siberian Iris in this bed and posted here asking about it. But the more I thought about it the more I could see the perfect way would be to put a row in front of the Blueberries. Its going to require some work by repositioning the edger pavers to allow for it to be done but currently, thats the idea thats taking hold in my mind. It would look great if I could impliment my plan. I have so much coming in the next two weeks to plant for this spring and after that I will be working on my new ideas.

South Hamilton, MA

Just being nosey---have you thought how you design for the different colors? Also watch the listed heights so you get to see everything. Certainly a large number of plants coming in.

I have planned to put my three extra talls in a spot by themselves. I have only one or two shorter ones. Most are in the 27-32 inch listed heights and those heights should be close enough no matter how I mix them. For colors, am just trying to alternate purples/blues with another color so that it breaks up the colors. Thats all I could think of.

I am the queen of moving things around. If the colors just don't work the way I put them, something will get moved to make it right.

Don't worry about the blueberry beds, the Sibs coming this week are all going in other spots I have chosen for them.

Oh, and last spring I planted about 140 new daylilies so the 27 Sibs are really not so much. But of course I have daylilies coming this spring also, many of them this coming week too.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Can't wait to see pictures, Rita. In fact how about a thread showing progress as you plant.

South Hamilton, MA

Thank you from a nosy parker.

I did decide to do some of them near the blueberry section. I think it will look good there when they grow and fill in.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.