Mid-may too late to plant clematis?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

My mom has been wanting a clematis. She planted one a couple of years ago but it didn't make it. I think she just didn't amend the soil well enough, and there was too much liriope competing for space. I've been thinking about getting her one for Mother's Day and planting it for her myself. Mother's Day is 5/10. As long as it's kept well-watered, do you think mid-May is too late to plant one?

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I think it'll be fine; I just checked my journal and I planted Comtesse de Bouchard the end of June last year (from Park Seed's sale/Flower day). It bloomed last year and is up and doing well this year.

I am "bad" to plant late into the season as I seem to keep acquiring plants. One trick I've learned to help the plants cope with the intense sun and heat is to shade them for a few days. I have an assortment of "tools" to accomplish this: crates, an old clothes basket with 2" holes drilled in the bottom (which is the top when it's upside down over a group of plants) plus the BEST things are shadecloth-covered, hinged A-frames my DH made me. I have 4 of assorted sizes (about 2 ft wide and 3 ft tall) that get a lot of use.

Go for it!

Edited to correct size of shadecloth frames!!

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009 11:57 AM

Cartersville, GA

I like cedar18's idea of a shade for plants put in after it gets hot. I am going to remember that idea. Back to the clematis, be sure to mulch around the clematis good because they like sun but cool feet. Water well until it is established. This is a gift that will just get bigger and fuller every year that she can enjoy for years to come.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.