Opposite site of unknown tree leaf

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Opposite site of unknown tree leaf

Thumbnail by DATURA12
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know what your tree is, but next time it will make it easier if you can keep all your pictures together in the same thread. To do this, all you have to do is reply to your original post. Each time you reply, you can upload a new picture. That way they'll all be together and everyone who's trying to help you will be sure to see them all (plus it keeps the discussion all in one place rather than scattered over a few different threads)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great to know, couldn't figure it out.
Thanks

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Can you get a pic of a shoot with several leaves to show leaf arrangement, and flowers or catkins if present?

Resin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sure I can Resin, didn't expect to see you on this forum. Hope you are well. Its raining hard here today, so I don't think I can get it today. If we get a break in the weather I will go out and take a pic.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, here are more pics, look closely at the pic with the leaves coming out of the pic with bark. It actually looks like two different trees, one looking like a mulberry leaf. I checked the entire tree and only see the mulberry looking leaves 3' from the base, the tree is only showing the ovate leaves. Mystery???????????????

Thumbnail by DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Catkins?

Thumbnail by DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is last photo of leaf arrangement

Thumbnail by DATURA12
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

With that lobed leaf and those catkins, It looks like it is a paper mulberry, Broussonetia papyrifera.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=BRPA4

http://www.texasinvasives.org/invasives_database/detail.php?symbol=BRPA4

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I ckd. your links, looks like the first link is showing the two leaf types unless I am not seeing it well. Do you agree?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Definitely, some are lobed and some aren't, even on the same branch. The catkins in your picture are male, the female flowers are round. I'm not sure but I think they're either all male or all female, on separate trees (dioecious).

Thumbnail by claypa
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Another great way to separate Broussonetia from Morus is by the fuzziness of the younger stems. You'll never mix Paper Mulberry up with anything else again.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks all, all indications are Paper Mulberry.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have the 'golden shadow' paper mulberry.
It really does have beautiful, persistent golden fuzzy foliage.
But it reseeds avidly.
I suspect the species does as well, if not more so.
Just a word of caution.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.