School Garden

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi. I posted this in the NE area because that's where we live but they told me to come here. I've never had iris. I've taken on the school garden this year and part of what we're intending to do is take care of the two perennial beds that were started by our art teacher who retired two years ago. The beds have not been really cared for since then. She was at the school Friday and walked me through the areas and told me about the plants. There are several kinds of iris in there and she said they're really crowded and need to be divided. They are supposed to be divided in the Fall. She did some of hers at home last week, however. I just need a plan so I can know what to do and what not to do with them. We're in a weather phase with lots of dry spells followed by either light insubstantial rains or torrential rains. That's been our pattern for several years now, and it's April and I'm already watering stuff at home. Watering at school won't happen that often so these gardens have to be self sustaining. Thanks for your wisdom. I'm putting together a time-line for the various plants so we know what has to be done when and we can schedule it.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Are they blooming now or do they have buds?

Raleigh, NC

please check in the plant files and see if you can find photos of the kind of foliage on these irises.

there are three types of irises. the most common in beds like you describe (no watering system) are bearded (there are several sizes, but care is nearly identical). the opposite is beardless (there are several types), and a third is the bulbous - for these I always think first of Dutch iris bulbs, a bulb planted similar to a daffodil. all three need occasional division, but how you handle the plants may be very different! so we'd need to know to help.

Well, I'll try to study the plants. They are all sending out green shoots right now. I actually have at home something called Iris reticulata I think and there are some of those at the school. Those are the bulbs, right? There are definitely different kinds of growth happening so I'll have to get back to you on that. I forgot my camera today so couldn't take the pictures I'd intended of the plants so far. Some of the patches actually seem to be planted only part way under ground while the other green shoots are coming out of the soil with no evidence of what might be under them. There is definitely no watering system. Any way, thanks. I'll get back to you.

South Hamilton, MA

Correct that I/ reticulata are bulbs--remember to let the foliage cure after bloom.

Thanks. I think those will be the easy ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.