Help. Our boxwoods aren't doing well this spring. Zone 5.

Defiance, OH

We noticed some of their leaves turn yellow on one side. We first thought it was winter wind damage, but it seems to be spreading. I’m hoping that it is not boxwood decline (we have had a lot of rain recently), since I don’t know of any effective treatments. Does any one have any ideas of what this might be or how to save or treat them? Or possibly what type of shrub would be more resistant to this type of problem…if we end up needing to replace them….

Here is what one of them looks like.

Thumbnail by beagelgarden
Almere, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

There are several new boxwood varieties that don't get the decline like English does.. and that's exactly what it looks like, I'm sorry.

Ellie

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

beagelgarden,

Mine look this bad EVERY spring LOL I just reach in and trim out any brown spots. It leaves a gap but rapidly fills in. After I thin them then I fertilize with granular evergreen food. A few weeks later I give them their early summer haircut and shaping. Then I mulch right away. Not sure what does it but within a few weeks they look great. It seems like it is the worst when we have a winter with bitter cold snaps or when our male dog marks on them.

BTW I'm pretty sure that it was in Fine Gardening that they had an article about trimming boxwoods and they actually said to trim them by cutting out main branches to promote air flow and better growth....It was several years ago so I hope my memory serves me :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.