ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 152 - Now the work begins!!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/976210/

Thumbnail by DustyDS

hi
better post so i don't loose my place in line for them brownies
see you tomorrow around 11 am ?
i will buy lunch ?

The pic above is the finished product of one of the terrific jobs that Bro Bill and Tony did for me today...They cut the sod with a sod cutter, and then brought on the black gold and then tilled it in...Tony needed the sod for his yard, so that worked out well...They did a fabulous job, and more than I even hoped for, and I am forever grateful...

While they were doing that, I painted all of the bottom work on the porch...All of it now has at least one coat, and most of it has two...All I have left is the ladder work and finish spraying the second wrought iron, but we have had a good breeze all day and that makes it impossible to spray...

I dug out for the new pathway, and got several shade plants moved into the new bed between the garage and house behind the rock pit...

Tomorrow I will finally move the upper path and get the edging rocks down...Then I have some cleanup around the new tilling to do, and quite a few plants to move into the new beds and into the old bed in front of the porch by the fountain...I have the base for the fountain rolled up to the porch from the basketball pole and ready to set into place tomorrow...It needs a small repair, and I need to get it set in place so I can get it done...
Once we get through tromping through there, I can get my climber seeds planted on the trellis...I knew I was getting old, but today I realized just how old...Both in body and braindead mind...I saw something in the garage that I forgot I had for my pea trellis....Geeesh!!!
So that gets moved out, and the fencing goes back where it was...LOL

I fed the Spousal Unit, and I am now off to a good hot shower...I need it to cool down...LOL 82* here at this hour, and I am in heaven...
Two things I miss about FL....my heat, and sandy/loamy soil to dig in instead of this heavy clay...

I have a visitor coming tomorrow that I will greatly enjoy...But it's a Female, so I need to go get into my beautiful routine...ROFLLL
Yeah right Dusty!!!

You all have a magnificent evening and an even better day tomorrow...
Prayers in the Smoke as always for all of you dear friends....

Edited for typos..

This message was edited Apr 26, 2009 9:40 AM

Thumbnail by DustyDS

ROFLLLL... Just where do you plan to buy it dear one??? Nooooo, we don't do lunch...But thank you for the offer...Bring things to cart plants home in...that's all you need to do beside get here !!!

ok

Here is an update on the front of the Porch area...You can see where my wrist and I had an argument on the left center post... LOL
I will hit that when I go after all of the ladder painting...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow...Wish I was there with you two tomorrow. But I have my own gardening stuff to get done.

Today I put out about 30 imitation earthboxes, filled them all with planting soil, lime, and compost. Wet it all down and got it arranged into what I am calling a garden. It's kinda cute, I guess. I dunno.

Doing everything in plastic containers this year. That way I can leave em out and just let the roots compost over the winter. Still too chicken to put out my cukes, maters, okra, peppers, squash and such. Even if the weather is picture perfect for the next few days, I don't trust Cleveland weather. I still want my nights to get over the 50's before I do. That and I am waiting for my Green Screen deer and rabbit repellant to get here from whereever it was I ordered it from. Everybody else on the street was putting their stuff out. Not me. Still only have herbs, taters, carrots, beets, onions, and greens n lettuce out and it will probably stay that way for another couple of weeks.

Anybody know anything about growing strawberries? I have no clue at all but somehow ended up with 3 plants of them.

Oh well I smell like cow caca am hungry and am tired. Like they say, it's the good tired though :)

Sleep well all.

Yeahhhhhhh.. you go girl....I know that tired....I'm dead but it's the good kinda dead....LOL...

Don't do strawberries, so I am of no use to ya there...But I can send Huggggs to you and Oprah.... ;-))

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I wonder if we had a contest today, and if we did, who won?

I went to the garden club plant sale, and only came home with 4 things. I bought a black pussy willow, a purple cone flower, a coral bells, and a poppy. Got them all put in, then started to dig some columbine and move it to other places. After I finished that, I potted up the rest of my tomatoes, and counted 168. I was supposed to receive another box of annual plugs today, but they didn't come. As hot as it has been over the past couple of days, they may be mush when they get here. All the first ones I received are doing well. This is the first time I have ordered plugs, and I think I will do it again, it if is offered in a co op next year. They look so much better than my seed sown plants.

Dusty, nice looking work that you got done. Sometimes you can't see the results of one day's work so quickly.

I went to Walmart tonight and bought paint to paint a garden bench, a glider, and a child size iron bed that I plan to put outside in the yard. DH doesn't know about the iron bed, so will have to listen to him complain about something else to mow around. I plan on putting the legs of the bed into the soil, and arrange it like a bed, and put tidal wave petunias in the bed area. Get it a garden bed. I bought bright plum paint, and will use purple and pink petunias in it.

Well it will be an early morning tomorrow,so I am heading to bed shortly. It is still 75 here, an it is 80 in the house,with windows and doors open. I will not turn on the air for a few more weeks. Matter of fact next week the temps are only supposed to be in the high 70's. Our house has no mature trees, and if we get a week of mid 80 temps, it is AC time.

Trust me Bons....I can see todays work in a heartbeat....Tons of things done that I never dreamed I would be able to accomplish this year...
I am beyond ecstatic....
I walked all over tonight after supper, just looking...More I see that need moved to the shade tomorrow...but I gave them all a good drink of water and hopefully they will be well until tomorrow...All of my windows are open today and tonight also....This breeze is wonderful....

Waving to all....Shower fitting had a collapse...
Had to call in reinforcements....At least I got rinsed...LOL

I am off to my rack, and I will BBQ the first dog that wakes me before I am ready to face the day....

Be at Peace this night.....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie,
That iron bed sounds like a great idea. Will you take a picture once it's done?
I did attempt to answer the sawfly vs. leaf miner question-- it's on the previous thread.

I had a new yard guy come today. He got a ton of clean-up done, and I have a HUGE stack of oak leaves, pine & spruce needles, & assorted egg shells, banana peels, etc.
I got some of the hydrangeas deadwood out, pruned the butterfly bush, hoed abt 1 1/2 beds-- then I pooped out.
I went to Robben's yesterday (westside Cincy florist & plant store in Delhi). Got some vanilla cream marigolds, a white veronica plant, some dill, cabbage, broccoli, yellow pepper, a gorgeous dark red geranium, some bright eyes phlox & that may be it.They had some gorgeous prairie fire crabapples. I may have to get one of those this year.

Tomorrow I need toread up on grass seed. I've got a big chunk of yard, where I had the woodpile for a couple years. It's under an oak tree, so it'll be mostly shaded. Any advice before I go for it?
((((everybody!))))))
Pat

Pat I will post the picture, but it will be in stages, first the bed frame, then the plantings and hopefully a glorious finish. I can see it in my mind's eye, and hope it turns out as well as I visualize it.

I have several columbines, and as far as I know, they are all without problems. Just didn't know that there was something that maybe was lurking waiting to devour mine.

I am looking for some poppies. I wintersowed some, and so far, I am seeing nothing. I do not plan to weed the beds where I put them for fear that I may be pulling something up that is a poppy baby. I have severe garden CRS, I am seeing so many things and can't remember what I planted. I have a little plant that is blooming orange right now, and for the life of me can't remember planting anything in that area. I will try to get a pic tomorrow, and maybe someone can help me identify it.

I really am off to bed now. Good night all.

Good Morning All...up to 73 glorious degrees here...
Took my coffee and headed for the porch to enjoy the view of all of that beautiful black dirt out there...I am still in awe...

Bons...There is a house between here and Middletown that has an old scrolled iron double bed in the yard....Nothing coming up in it yet, but it looks cute...Cookie left a child size one here under the clematis that I dug out when I pruned it...I don't know if I will do anything with it or not...
I planted 2 seperate batches of Poppies out on the berm...One in Jan. on the snow and another the first of March, and I have nothing either...

Pat...There is a special grass seed that is specifically for shaded areas...Just ask for it when you go to buy it...

Taynors should be here shortly, so I am going to scoot outside and get busy...

You all have a wonderful Sunday!!!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Oriental poppies? I have thousands of NOID red and peach seeds. LMK, I'll send some your way. They're viable, just had a bunch come up.
Laura

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Lor, I thought they need a cold spell? I keep trying... nada.

kooger, if you have some seed, I sure would love to have them. I still am not seeing any signs of what I wintersowed.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, guys, for once I was able to catch up on the thread relatively easily. I can tell the weather's blessing most of us since there's less activity on the threads - people are outside! I am outside right now, but not working.

We went to the OSU football stadium yesterday for the spring football game. Howie's nephew Luke plays the quad toms in the marching band. He's not in the main marching band, but their pep (?) band. He's been practicing for weeks and was really stoked about it, so we wanted to see the performance at half time!

We had no idea it would be SO crowded there. Oh, my gosh, I honestly have never seen so many people walking toward anything. Howie parked a good 8 blocks away, after dropping me off about 5 blocks away. I wore sandals because I didn't think about the walk...So I hoofed it about 3/4 mile and wound up with blisters on the bottoms of my feet.

THEN, there was a mix-up regarding where his brother told us he was sitting. He said the west side, but when Howie asked him which side of the stadium as you looked in from the open end of the horseshoe shape, he said the right side. After some bickering about which to go by, we went to the right side. Nope, he was on the left side!

I was not only hobbling on blistered feet, but my neck started hurting and I struggled to go up the steps - guess the anesthesia really has kicked my tush when it come to endurance! We had to sit clear up on D-deck, the nosebleeds. No elevators, so hundreds of steps.

It was a beautiful day, though, so once we were sitting we were all in much better spirits. The reason Howie's brother sat in the west side of the stadium was obvious once the band came on the field at half-time. That's the direction they face. So, we heard muffled music and I got pictures of everyones' butts. LOL

Howie took off to get the van while the band was still playing and I made my way through the stadium and down to the bridge we'd spotted from our seats and agreed on as a meeting place. He just barely made it onto the road before the game ended and the crowds surged out of the stadium - whew!

Here's Luke's butt. He's the quad tom player on the far left.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL, Kimberly....that'll be a story DN will wish to be forgotten soon! All that, just to get a picture of his butt!

Bonnie, your garden bed sounds adorable!

Dusty, some day soon, you are just going to have slow down long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor. (Yes, I understand the need of taking advantage of the extra help when it's available!) Walking by in the morning with coffee in hand doesn't give you enough time. Trust me, the work will still be there in a day or two. So...did you and Sue have a good time? I think it's cool that some of you gals are close enough together to hang out together once in awhile.

Sue, had to laugh at the "lunch' comments. Some times it's best to not test the endurance of a grumbling belly. We have friends who would invite us for a cookout and we never did eat. I learned to grab a sandwich to eat on the way to certain friends homes. However, those same friends now serve me a snack as soon as I sit down.

I didn't get as much done as you all did, but I feel pretty good about what I did get done. I made a trip to Walmart, picked up some ready-to-eat stuff, some bags of potting soil and some dish pans and buckets and a couple of cans of Lysol! Pharmacy was closed, so have to go back again tomorrow. I got drain holes drilled in the bottoms of the 4 dishpans, then got them filled and seeded with carrots, onions, lettuce and turnip greens. Drilled the 2 bucket bottoms, so that I could transplant the blueberries to the bigger containers. Also planted a couple of dozen 16 oz, disposable cups with different kinds of seeds. Hopefully, I won't have to move them to bigger containers before I get them back home to plant. I got the little garden watered well this evening and it is looking so good! Just need to weed my paths tomorrow, but they're not too bad.

And the good news is...I think I'm going to live! DH, on the other hand....LOL! Actually, other than feeling a little "groggish", this is the best I've felt since I came down here in January. Going to continue taking my meds as prescibed though, and not push myself to get too much done till I'm fully over this stuff! Al says he thinks he feels better, but he's spent the day on the couch again, sleeping off and on, and being a grouch when he is awake. Getting him to finish his course of medicine is going to be a real challange!

Time to sit back and relax now...you all have a great evening!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Well, with all my moving and such, they've had cold spells, hot spells, more cold spells. I seeded them thickly in my little germination container with a half dozen seeds per cell and I swear dang near every one came up. I especially love the peach ones and was so thankful I had saved lots of seed. I have seed from 2004, 2005 and 2006. I'll get some packets made up and mailed out. I know Bonnie and darius are in the Exchange, anyone else want seed, dmail me, ok? ...It's the row that looks like miniature grass on the left.

P.S. and you can all stop snickering at the long-legged seedlings between the poppies and the cotton. My defense -- I didn't know they'd germinate so fast!!

Thumbnail by kooger

kooger, what are you doing sowing cotton seeds? Planning on spinning and weaving it?

I will reimburse you postage for some. I sowed some heirloom poppy seeds given to me by Mike, Edna's DH, and I am just heartsick that they didn't germinate.

Was on the phone this afternoon for 3 hours with a Linksys tech about my router. They gave me to so many people, I lost count. It was like they started at the bottom of the ladder, a tech for simple things, and I guess I ended up with the top dog, and he was ecstatic when he finally got the dang thing fixed. Me too. I said you fixed it, he said no you fixed it, then I said, WE fixed it. He said that might be the highlight of his day. I was talking to someone in the Phillipines, and it was early morning there.

Robin, what will you do with the garden stuff if you have to leave during the growing season? Maybe turn it over to a neighbor for their enjoyment.

DH says that he is going to plant some corn and beans tomorrow. I think it is entirely too early, but hey, it's his veggie garden, if he wants to plant it twice, who am I to say?

Well, I am worn out from doing nothing except talk on the phone, so I am heading to bed. Good night. It is still 76 here, and 84 in the house with the doors and windows open, but I am danged if I turn on the AC.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

The cotton is for my BIL. He teaches history and wanted it for school. So far 13 out fo 24 have germinated.

I keep falling asleep sitting here. Heading to bed early.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, most of the stuff I planted here is in containers, so that I can/should be able to take a lot of them home next month when I go check on things, and the rest when we go home in June? Don't forget that I'm in zone 8 here, so I got a much earlier start than I would have back home in zone 6. I just planted some squashes, okra, a few peppers, green beans and some flowers in the ground here, that I will leave behind. Just couldn't stand not gardening! Hopefully, since my plans for the CSA are falling apart this year, I might be be able to build some goodwill with potential customers selling to them on a week by week basis for whatever is left of the growing season when we return home.

Glad the computer problem is fixed!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Do my eyes deceive me? Am I really the first to post today? Wow...

Next post: God sent me balloons. Stay tuned.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Looks like it, GW....I'm been putting off posting for 2 hours, waiting for someone else to post first.

Balloons?

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Good morning!

I had an appointment cancel on me, which sucks but it gives me more time to piddle until my afternoon appointments.

Glad to see everyone enjoying and taking advantage of the good weather we've had lately. I hope Mother Nature doesn't make a fool of us all. That is such a disappointment when the weather does the "Ohio Flip" as I call it.

Gonna go get another cuppa and turn into the fine upstanding citizen.

Many many blessings to all.

Kim what's the skinny on the balloons?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I get a daily e-mail from Google calendar telling me what events are scheduled for the day. My most favorite notifications are those which say, "You have no events scheduled today". I really am a homebody. :)

Balloons...Oh, wouldn't you like to know. Stay tuned!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, here's what I was talking about when I said God sent me balloons. I had some pictures to edit before they were ready to post... http://www.gardenwife.com/god-sent-me-balloons

Cute, GW... nice website, too. Hey... does a digital camera have a hot shoe?

I'm inside to cool off. I hadn't planned to mow the lawn but it was SO tall, and SO full of flying, fluffy dandelion seed puffs that I didn't have any choice. Can you die sick from breathing flying dandelion seeds? Even after nearly 3 years here, I STILL cannot believe how fast the "lawn" grows!

My tomato (heirloom) seeds finally came today, after the shipping address fiasco. I think I'll start some in seed trays while I'm inside. I got a couple that are unfamiliar to me: 1884, Kosovo, and Red Rose. Has anyone tried those?

When I go back outside, I MUST do something with the chokecherries I got last week. They came bareroot and dry; I just plunked them in water... now they are leafing out already!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Can't believe you've been there three years now. That's just crazy!

It depends on the camera, Darius. Which one are you considering? You should be able to find out if it has a hot shoe at http://dpreview.com or http://steves-digicams.com

Does yours? That's really my specific question; I'm not in the market for a camera much as I'd love a decent one. I have something for a hot shoe I'd give you.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Really? You have my attention. :) Yes, mine has a hot shoe. I am not sure if it is a proprietary one, though. It is a Sony, which means Minolta equipment will work on it as well. And there are adapters.

Well, I'll bring what I have to the RU and you can look at it... yours if you can use it. Don't ask me more... you know my experience lies elsewhere!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

GW, great website! You done good!

Guess we are in for some really bad weather...up to 2-4" of rain, etc. over the next day or two. Need to go move all of my containers of veggies back under the back patio roof, so they don't drowned.

What's everyone else doing today?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone..in taking a break! Loved the website Kimberley!
Tony...had to laugh on the 'Ohio flip'!! Boy, is that ever the truth. People around here are putting out tomato plants, etc. I keep telling them....no no and no! But then nobody listens to me...lol! I hope they aren't in for a big surprise!
MsRobin...my friend, Don, (tropicman) said they have been having tornadoes all around him...and 6" of rain! Also 70 mph winds! Yikes!! I sure hope that isn't headed your way..or mine!!
We are supposed to get rain tomorrow though. I think we probably need it after all this wind drying everything out!
I've been trying to do cleanup outside...almost a lost cause today...with the winds here!
Dave tried to cut more grasses...gave that up. Stuff going everywhere!! Now he is painting the little arbor between the house and garage...well..priming it I guess. The roses on there died almost back to the ground this yr! Funny thing is...the one on the north side had more live growth than the one on the south side! Strange!
All my roses look bad this year! I don't think I will be buying any more of them. Yeah yeah...Dave says...until you see one you like....LOL!!!
My John Cabot rose bit the dust! And that is a northern variety!!
Ok...I heard the bossman come in...so guess break time is over for now!
Have fun everyone!

Good evening...

Just finished a great dinner! I steamed 2 pounds of asparagus fresh from the garden, some spinach picked yesterday... and broiled 3 trout. My sis and The Kid each ate 1 spear of the asparagus because I handed them each one... the rest (other than what I ate) are still on ice, and 2 of the trout grow cold. The Kid nuked a frozen corn dog. Sigh.

I'm off to catch some TV.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Darius, that made my stomach growl! I like to use leftover fish like you would for a tuna salad, that would be great on a sandwich with your fresh spinach!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Ditto on the stomach growling. Sounds delicious! Their loss.

Forecast was for some rain, maybe severe weather, maybe 2-4" this afternoon and evening. So far, lots of clouds, few sprinkles, but nothing serious yet, but the humidity is TERRIBLE!Heard a grumble of thunder awhile ago.

Moved all of my containers of plants (only about 12 or so) up under the back patio roof, so they wouldn't drowned if we get all that rain. Got the weather radio on. Don't know what we'd do if it got real bad, but we'd at least know it was coming. I know...not very funny.

Roomies moved out tonite. Have mixed emotions about that. Hate to have all that extra rent to pay now, especially after Al just missed 4 days of work last week. But it will be all right. Maybe he'll quit being so grouchy now.

Marcy, maybe your roses will come out of it okay when spring finally arrives and sticks arounds.

Sue, still waiting on your news!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'm not the oldest Ohio Native here but close.
Does ANYONE ever remember a Fire Weather Warning here in Ohio before?

Ric

Evening all, I am very tired tonight. First off had an early dental appointment, and when I got home, put the sealer on the exposed aggragate concrete front porch and walk. Lunch, then went to the veggie garden with DH and planted corn, beans carrots beets, shallots and some garlic. 5 rows, but these are football length rows. Ms Robin knows, well maybe not that long, but very long. Then came home to a shipment of annual flower plugs, which had to be potted up. Then cooked supper and had a shower, and I am beat. Got a pretty good sun/wind burn. Man the wind here was very very brisk. Had it not been for the wind, it would have been way hotter feeling though.

Darius, I can't imagine anyone not liking fish and asparagus. Yuk on anything that you have to nuke. Junk.

Robin, sure hope that you don't get any severe weather, and that the moving of the containers to a safe place will be enough to stop torrential rains too. It usually does the trick here.

Marcy, one of my friends called after supper, and said that she stopped the drain up on her shower with all the grass that she washed off after mowing the lawn. Not a day to try that. Although she was trying to beat the rain that is predicted for the rest of the week.

I have plenty of inside jobs that need doing if the rains do come.

Well hope you all have a good night. Did Dusty and Sue run off after their visit yesterday?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

OK, Ric, I'll bite...Fire Weather Warning? IF it is what I think it is, I've never heard it called that before.

Bonnie, the garden rows are only a football field length? Sure looked longer than that to me! LOL! Yep, hoping moving those buckets and dishpans under cover is enough to make the potential rain dissipate.

Dusty hinted at Sue having some news last night, but have not heard a peep from Sue all day. Sounds like they had a great time yesterday and no one was arrested, so they must have stayed out of trouble!

Time to hit the sack...sleep well all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.