Reluctant Eastern Bluebird Fledges

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Ah...great news Dave...they are tolerant aren't they? Last year I had to move their box twice and also had to move it this year (due to DH building a canopy on his shop) and they didn't seem to blink an eye! Surely they know by now you are there to help them as shown by their acceptance of the changes we subject them to...LOL!

I'm glad you posted your concerns here..it certainly gives a more rounded view of hosting the Blues.

Congrats on the new egg...Mama sounds like a rear trooper. They get over these disruptions a lot sooner than we do don't they?

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Yah, bless her heart for getting back at it.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Gosh Dave, I sure hope they have success this round. I know you just must be heartbroke.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

A few shots from this morning...she has almost completed a new nest!! They sure don't waste any time!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Last one for now...

Thumbnail by dellrose
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

What a wonderful series, Rose!! Oh how I hope I get to witness them fledging. You have recorded it so well . In spite of the pics not being the quality you would like them to be, B & B might still be interested. I have yet to find where one would submit something though.
These Bluebirds sure are busy when it comes to nesting aren't they?!! The first year that some nested here, I did not realize that they needed the nest box cleaned out after the fledging, so I guess they must have either found another place for their 2nd clutch or else only had 1 that year. Well, last year, after joining DG, and becoming much more informed...I cleaned that box out the day after they fledged and soon another nest was in the making.
I just love the Bluebirds, too.
Thanks so much for sharing your picture series with us and I look forwaard to more of the fledges.......they will surely return to your mealworm station . And also more of this 2nd nesting!!
Great job!!

Wing waves to ya,
Sheri

Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

I believe my baby blues have hatched because mom and dad bluebird are back and forth frantically feeding. I haven't seen any babies yet but hope to soon. Here is a pic of mom (?) perched at the hole with some food.

Thumbnail by crazybirdlady51
Stafford County, VA

Rose, that last shot you posted is one of the best I have ever seen. I mean it!
The composition, the color, the detail. Even the perch seems to have so much character. It really is a keeper.

Dave

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Birdie...thanks and best of luck to you this season..I hope you have many Blues.

CBL...That is a lovely shot of your female Blue and I hope you too have many more Blues this summer. Thanks for sharing!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

We cross posted Dave. Thanks so much for the lovely compliment I will be sure to not delete when I go on a deleting frenzy..LOL! Thanks again.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I just love these shots, the mad looking fledgling is so funny. I am waiting on mine to fly. The parents are working hard on keeping them feed.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks bluegrassmom!

Here is Mom BB...she has just about completed the new nest! Sure seems early!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

and here is her handsome mate from this morning.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Terrific coverage! Finding this thread really has made my day! Thanks Rose for sharing.

Stafford County, VA

Rose, get ready for another compliment.

That one of the male is another keeper! The color, the texture of the feathers, wow!! It is hard to imagine getting one any better.

These Canon lenses can sure deliver true color. Of course, much of the credit goes to the photographer, but I have seen so many pictures of bluebirds taken with so-called professional quality equipment where the colors were too rich and oversaturated. I know there is a variety in the coloring of bluebirds, just like there is in Cardinals, but many of the ones I see look like someone colored them with crayons.

I don't think there is such a thing as perfection, but the last few of yours are certainly better than great.

Now we just need to see them in flight.

Dave

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Lily..I'm glad you enjoyed looking at the Blues...they are as sweet as they look and their call is so lovely.

Dave...I am speechless!! Thank you so much for the nice compliment...after the birds I would say my second love is learning to use my camera gear. It has been a challenge for this old dog to learn new tricks...to say the least. That being said I will try to get some flight shots but I am thinking I will be disappointed in the results. I just can't think that fast...LOL!!

Thanks again all!

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them and your stories.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
That one of the male is another keeper! The color, the texture of the feathers, wow!! It is hard to imagine getting one any better.

I dunno… I see one feather out of place!

;-)

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Borders!

Mrs. Ed....LOL!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Good grief it is so clear you can see the little tiny joints in his feet!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yes Rose, really great job, on the Bluebird shots. Now Marna........ did you take a magnifying glass, to check his feathers? :))

Marlton, NJ

Have you seen the fledges around Rose?

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

dellrose ,do you have any advice on how to attract the bb to a new house,or is it a wait and see thing ? i hung it facing east 4ft high at the most open part of our property,the bb house only has a hole ,does it need a slot also,thank you,any help much appreciated. anyone !!!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, hugger, are you putting out meal worms? or maybe some 'bb banquet'?

They may like that and want to stay around. (Or so I've read, I haven't been able to get them to my box, either!) (-:

For more ideas, here's a link to Mrs. Ed's most informative article about Blue Bird Nest Boxes:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1093/

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

tabasco,I think thats a good idea,that ought make my dh grumble,he just loves my hairbrained ideas !!! keeps you young, i tell him,well me too !!! THANKS FOR THE ADVICE & LINK .Tamara

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Rose....standing ovation!!! WOW

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for you kind comments everyone...I am really enjoying this obsession!

Tamara.. Tab have given you some excellent advise and the only thing I can add is a bird bath is very attractive to all of the birds. I noticed last spring and summer the Blues would use it every evening for bathing...such a blast to watch!! They are such clean little birds. Another place to check is the Sialis website, www.sialis.com . There is so much information there and probably the answer to most of your questions about Blues. I have noticed that the female likes to eat sunflower hearts from the feeder and the male likes peanut butter suet.

Pelle..I was able to get some shots of the fledges this morning. They were in the maple tree in the front yard and I was able to hide under a willow tree to get these pics. No sun and low light but luckily was able to get close enough.

This one shows 3 fledges, the one is front giving me the evil look is a female and the other 2 are males.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here are the other two..a female in the front and a male in the upper right corner.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

A close up of the little female...she was sleeping most of the time I was out there.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here are 2 of the males...so cute and scary!! LOL!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

another of the same 2.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

one more of the same 2.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Last one for now showing the 3 boys all together...with a little attitude!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I luv this thread! Thanks all for sharing. Great news on your fix dave! I had horrible problems with crows and magpies going after eggs. Now I put styrofoam 'eggs' in old nests and place them in shrubs and trees. I hope it's helping. At least I haven't found any more broken eggs/shells. Of course there are pecked styro eggs to be picked up everywhere LOL

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Those fledgling are super sweet. I can't get over how fast they grow.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, and they stay together for a time before they 'venture' out to the real world? lol. All this is captivating to me. Thanks Rose. Oh, I meant to say. Boys will be boys to some of those males bb's pictures. lol.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Great pics, Rose!

Stafford County, VA

Right Burn. Just think, 23 days ago they came out of an egg not much bigger than you finger tip. It's amazing how fast those feathers grow too. This is the time when they are improving their flying skills-- and their landing skills. For a week or so it's a potiential crash landing every time they try to land. Also,they tend to fly toward where their siblings are, so in many cases they will land right on top of another bird.

Great pictures, Rose. I am really enjoying this thread too.

Dave

Marlton, NJ

Oh Rose they are precious!!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks again everyone...I am sure enjoying these little beauties.

They have all taken turns giving me dirty looks!!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.