Get your Hummingbird feeders up! ;->

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Good morning, all,

Just wanted to let you know that I put my hummingbird feeder out this morning, and not TEN MINUTES later, there was a hummer visiting.

It's TIME!!!! Yippee!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

That's great! I need to dig mine out.

Yes indeed, Wrightie!

I was gone most of today, but my neighbors reported that the feeder was visited again. I don't know if it was a scout or a returning regular, but in any case, I'm happy to see them.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My Mom mentioned this to me last week, saying she had already seen them too!
Gotta get mine out in the morning!

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

Ohh, I wonder if they are in my neck of the woods yet? I'll be getting that up tomorrow just in case!

They've got to be in the general area. Ours usually show up when the azaleas begin to bloom.

Hope you see some soon! It was so hot today that I will probably have to change the feeder water out tomorrow.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

We have three feeders, one on each side of the house where we sit out. The fourth side is no-man's land. It's too hot out there. The birds have been active all day and especially in the evening. I can identify 4 birds, one long and lanky female (Miss Cigar), a smaller female (unnamed); a male who has a feather on the back of his neck that sticks out (Mohawk), and one tiny male who moves up and down and back and forth on the feeder (Michael J. Fox). I don't mean any disrespect by this. I love Michael J. Fox and think he is exceeding brave. These little birds are so fascinating, such a pleasure to have in the garden.

That's really great that you're seeing more than solitary ones - makes me think that those are not transient scouts, but regulars. It's always so wonderful when they return!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Had my feeder out a few days now, I put it up when the Quince bush is in bloom. Got my first hummer yesterday, on my birthday, mother nature always gives me wonderful gifts.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I had to get a new one (squirrels ate the last one) and ordered a Oriole feeder at the same time (hoping to lure one to my garden) - also decided to order some sheperd's hooks to hang the feeders from in the front of the house, we have new neighbors with dogs that are on the deck most of the time...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was a little late, but got 3 up today! Using Hummzingers, which I love... got "Nectar guards" which are supposed to keep out yellow jackets.

I'm pretty sure I've heard them buzz through the garden a few times, but haven't actually seen one yet (there are a few blooms for them).

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OH YES....will get those babies out then in the next couple of days...Chloe will love it

Mine guys hit the feeder 17 hours after I got it up!

Yay, sounds like everyone is getting to enjoy the little guys now. I love it when I'm out in the yard wearing a t-shirt that has bright colors, or especially flowers, on the front. They'll come up and hover, moving around a bit, checking it all out, before deciding I'm not actually a nectar source. LOL!

Critter, I've used a Hummzinger for the last 3 or so years, and they really are incredibly well engineered. Best design out there, IMHO.

Chantell, Chloe will indeed be fascinated by the antics of the hummers! Better than TV sometimes.

Bec, can't believe the squirrels ate your feeder! That's really awful! That's the one feeder they seem to leave alone in my yard, for some unknown reason. Hope you get some orioles. I've never seen them, and would love to do so.

One funny thing I've had happen is the goldfinches will discover the little bit of water I've got in the upper reservoir to deter ants, and think it's really nice that I've provided such a personal water source for them! I solved that problem by adding a drop of dish detergent to the water...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Diva - the Walnut family have feasted on many things they weren't 'sposed to ^_^ But, I don't see them as often as before, our new neighbors dogs are on the deck most of the day when the weather is nice, and Paulie doesn't seem to wanna be around when they are ^_^

I hung my feeders up today - hummer & oriole - they are in perfect view from the living room window - so come on over hummers/orioles!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That's it...I'm boiling water and sugar tonight!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sure everyone already knows but "just in case" here's the recipe: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ConservationAndScience/MigratoryBirds/WebCam/hummingbird_nectar_recipe.cfm I also throw old fruit to the corners of back yard to attract fruit flies which provide them with the protein they need as well.

Good idea on the fruit, Chantell. Maybe I'll stick some pieces back by the compost pile - they usually zoom in that direction after feeding.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They can find plenty of bugs in my garden without my needing to put out fruit fly food! LOL

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Reporting the first hummer seen in my back yard. It made its grand entry yesterday. We have pink dogwood, flowering cherry, peaches, apple and a few late daffs in full bloom for them.

I found a really good hummering bird feeder at Walmart, you can take it all apart to clean it. It has a wide mouth jar, and the disk with the feeding ports comes apart too. I got one last year and just picked up another last week.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I put one up two days ago just near my quince. Still waiting.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Chris - those are the ones I use - they have them in 2 sizes!! I use the smaller size with the sm size plant loop stakes in large pots - the hummers normally hit those first.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantelle--

Can you post a picture of what you are describing?
I have never put up Hummer feeders--but have 2 in my shed...Might give it a try....

Thanks...G.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah...that wasn't the best description...I'll try to do that tonight

We have one pair that comes back every year... we've been in the same apartment for four years now.
Remember my garden cart? The male has decided this is his lookout this year... and he's "King of the Hill!"
The photos are a bit grainy but wanted to show hime off.

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

And another...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

What a handsome guy! Thanks for sharing the pix. I'm not seeing any regular visitors just yet, but am keeping an eye out. It's always fun to see what perches they choose to rest on, isn't it?

They really are little bullies! This little guy definitely thinks himself top dog!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ain't seen none yet!

My feeders went out Sunday. Today the hummers were into them. Give me some sun and I will take pix of the fiesty little guys.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Rose, Those are beautiful!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry Gita - just got the pic this morning...these are the smallest of the "loop" stakes ya'll sell at HD - can also be found at Wally World or Lowes. The feeder is the smaller size found at Walmart.
NOTE: I only placed this one in this planter for the photo - generally I have them in planters that are elevated i.e. higher up - not sure if the hummers would come to this one so low to the ground.

This message was edited May 7, 2009 2:19 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell

Good morning all ! This is the first morning I have log onto DG and no posting in MA over night, you all must be tired from your gardening chores. I know I was, went to bed early last night.
Here are some pictures I too for my orioles yesterday.

Not sure if this is the female or a juv. male. Have to get the bird book out.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Sorry for the butt shot. This one loves the grape jelly.

The pictures are fuzzy due to taking them through the patio window and using the zoom. I'll have to do a sneek shot from the garage sometime.

I was getting yelled at all day yesterday by them as I was working in the gardens next to the feeders.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Chris - great pics - tell me about the grape jelly....I'm clueless

Sneaking a shot is fun if you have a tripod and an electronic trigger. You did well the way you took the above shot. I set my feeders up this year to utilize the tripod and electronic trigger. Should be able to get some dandy shots.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Orioles love jelly - and fruit - the new feeder I bought with the hopes of attracting some has a little compartment for jelly or fruit :)

Attracting Orioles

Most orioles do not winter in the United States, but return during the breeding season. There are 8 species of orioles that breed in the United States. The two most widespread species are the Baltimore Oriole and Orchard Oriole in the East and the Bullock's Oriole in the West. Orioles can be attracted to your backyard with food and nesting materials.

Orioles often eat fruit and can be attracted with orange halves placed on platform feeders, a deck railing, or nailed to a tree. It is important to have the oranges available just as the orioles arrive, which is around April 1st in the South and April 15th to May 1st in the northern half of the country. Some orioles seem to be more attracted to oranges when they first return from their wintering areas but switch to an insect diet soon after. Other orioles seem to eat oranges throughout their breeding season.

Orioles also may use special sugar water feeders because sugar water is similar to the flower nectar on which orioles naturally feed. Some oriole sugar water feeders are colored orange and have large perches to accommodate the birds. Orioles may also use hummingbird feeders. Fill the feeders with a solution of either 1 part white sugar to 4 parts water or 1 part white sugar to 6 parts water; both seem to attract orioles. Boil the solution for 1-2 minutes, then cool. Change the solution every 2 days in hot weather.

In addition to fruit and sugar water, orioles can be attracted to grape jelly and mealworms. Offer the jelly in a small dish placed on a platform. Mealworms can be placed in a small container, but make sure it has straight sides that are high enough (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches), enough so that the mealworms cannot climb out. Mealworms are found in pet stores and wild bird stores. Many orioles feed the mealworms to their nestlings, who require a good protein source.

Orioles weave nests of natural plant fibers and will also use lengths of string cut into 8-12 inch pieces. You can put the string in a wire suet basket, drape it over shrubs, or lay it in the open where orioles will see it. Orioles nest in trees in suburban areas, parks, forest edges, and along rivers.

This message was edited May 8, 2009 12:49 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

How cool is that?!??

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec, have you had success in attracting Orioles? I have set up Oriole feeders in the past, but to no avail (as far as I know).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.