October Glory Maple

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I am thinking about planting one, is that a good idea?
I have plenty of room and it won't be near the house.
Do they grow quickly?
Any warnings?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Watch out! They turn red in the fall.

'October Glory' is a fine selection of red maple (Acer rubrum). Most red maples are above-average growers, especially if they get regular moisture through the growing season. Missouri is right in the middle of their growing zone, so you won't have climatic issues.

As with many/most maples, they will have plenty of roots near the surface, so in time you will have trouble growing grass underneath it. If that is not a concern, then you will really enjoy this tree.

well I do not want red. I would like something that turns more yellow and orange colors.
I have Autumn Blaze, and it turns red. So any ideas?

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

My neighbours have those planted in the curb. They are superb trees, and although they seem to grow faster and bigger than other Maples I have seen, they are such shapely trees, never need pruning, they are the queens of the street!

They do turn red, but in my opinion, it is a nice warm red, not a clownish-in-your-face red.

CC

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Try a Sugar Maple instead?

Resin

Danville, IN

Yes, sugar maples in this country turn all shades of beautiful golds and oranges. Not as fast growing as red maples, but nice.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

For Missouri, in addition to Sugar Maple you could also try Yellowwood (Cladrastis kentukea), Yellow Buckeye (Aesculus flava/octandra), or one of your native oaks like Chestnut Oak (Quercus montana) or a native hickory like Bitternut Hickory (Carya cordiformis) and Shagbark Hickory (Carya ovata).

As you can see, there are a lot of choices in those color ranges.

Yes I really wanted a sugar maple, but none of the nurseries around here have them.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I kinda liked this one from last fall: Acer x freemanii Scarlet Sentinel

Thumbnail by growin
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yea Sugar Maple is nice. Here is one from near my former home.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Just be sure to give it plenty of room to grow, they grow WIDE.
If it isn't given room to spread out, it could end up butchered, like that same one was for power lines.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.