Finally!

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Waited 5 years on this one to bloom to see if it was correct, Big Black Bumblebee, I wonder if that is a record? It goes underground during the hot weather and starts back growing again every fall.

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Lebanon, OR

Boo hoo, I can not keep that one alive here at all, so far no Aril/Arilbred blooming

D

Thank you for sharing that as I love it.

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

We have the arilbed right against the house, they bloom here with the dwarfs, so they are abnormally early,from all the heat from the bricks. I could not bring myself to toss it, but did move it 2 years ago. Its still hard to believe its a historic iris compared to the other arilbreds...

South Hamilton, MA

I don't know if that was hybridized when Henry D. was in Chicago or after he moved south.

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Well D, even if you can't grow BBB, at least you can grow the stunningly beautiful Japaneze irises there. I have killed everyone I've tried within 1 month of purchasing. They do grow in this area, several club members in Knoxville grow them, they just don't grow for us. I really love the ones with multiple petals, like Flashing Koi.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

My BBB is budded but not open yet. My arilbreds just started this week. Everything is about a week late this year because it's been so cloudy and cool. But it's sunny and warm/hot in Nashville the next week, so I expect quite a show.

Lebanon, OR

Neil lots of pictures please

Yup I can grow the JI but why can't you Tigger?

D

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

I somehow kill everyone I come in contact with,lol, they hate it here. 1 to 4 weeks is the norm before they die. We've gotten them from the iris club, bought from Ensata, none live.

Lebanon, OR

A friend of mine in Maryland does the same, shame as you know some are to die for!

The first couple I saw was not taken by at all, then one caught my eye and image what I list is only a small part of what I have now.

D

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here you go, Dee, a few for tonight.....

Vera Louise

Thumbnail by NeilTR
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Vera Merina

Thumbnail by NeilTR
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Genetic Artist

Thumbnail by NeilTR
Lebanon, OR

Not fair Neil, I have been wanting to try the Vera but are they OBG+ if so that is why I do not get them, if not I am having a blond moment with lots of gray LOL

Love them both and thank you Neil for posting these lovely ones

PS look for another package this year, but could you do a report for me but you will have to email me at denise@snowpeakiris.com so I can email the form to you

D

Lebanon, OR

I did get one small piece of GA but want more as it is looking ill.

D

But will never give up, got more sand for the area so that will help too

D

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

One more for tonight. The Vera's are VERY slow growers and usually have one flower and one increase a year......

Child Song

This message was edited Apr 23, 2009 8:06 PM

Thumbnail by NeilTR
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

tigger, congratulations on your patience and your bloom! I have lost one Big Black Bumblebee and am awaiting the arrival of another. Neil, love the two Veras and Genetic Artist. I have all three of those on order. No arilbreds yet in my part of the world -- but they should arrive any day now.

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

i got a bud on lancer . i only have 2 ab so i had to chime in lol

Cincinnati, OH

I tried ABs starting three years ago. Last year I had blooms all over, but lost one plant and had to move all of them into a raised bed. This year they look good, but only ZiZah has bloomed. Code Talker is the one I have had to pamper the most, lost Babylonian Fire after moving it. This year I bought Vera Marina and Vera Ruby along with a boat load of others. My Genetic Artist has increased the fastest and bloomed from the first year. I do have a raised bed in front of a rock wall that faces east. Wonder if I should plant the new ones there? Love Neil's pictures.

Lebanon, OR

My display area for the aril/arilbred is in front raised bed, river loam, sand, and turkey grit gravel..too early for blooms yet here but they are sure growing well.

Child Song was ordered.

D

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

man mine are right next to the driveway in what ever dirt we have here . its pretty dry and hot there i hope they dont die . i have oyez and lancer . they both have made like 3 babies each and lancer has a bud. i read somewhere that you could just put them with the tb. so i just put them in the front where i could see them

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

OOOOOH I like that Child Song, where do I find that one?

Tnigger, I have BBB, this will be it's 3rd year and it is finally going to bloom.

Vera's do well here, a little on the slow side.

Here is Sajjetta, not a very good picture, will retake again in the morning.

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love arilbreds but have only had one bloom since beginning to grow them not quite two years ago. I have killed a few as well, but many are well and seem to be growing nicely. Maybe I will get a lot of blooms this year. I feel like they are so totally my kind of iris which is funny when you consider I have so little experience with them.
Am scheduled for judges' training on species iris tomorrow. Talk about something I know nothing about!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry, 1913, for the delay in responding. Sometimes I actually have to do some work....lol

Child Song came from Malevil Iris.

Here's Lady Mohr:

Thumbnail by NeilTR

Here is a better picture of Sajjetta

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How lovely Sajjetta is! I learned today that old iris can be stunningly beautiful as well. I realize that I have unconsciously been operating under the assumption that irises became obsolete, kind of like styles women's dresses.
Today, thanks to Lowell Baumunk, I realize how beautiful the older iris can be.

I old ones have a certain sultryness to them, they are so delicate. Pictures can say alot about them too. The first photo was drained from the sunlight, but the 2nd was early morning no sunlight yet.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Beautiful pictures Tigger, Neil and Cat.. Okay you guys! No, I don't have any alibreds. No, I don't need to try them. Started with TB, then tried JI, then also got really hooked on Siberians. Now ordered 3 spuria to try. I think I had better just continue to enjoy the pictures of alibreds that everyone posts. In enough trouble as it is. LOL

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Shadow, you could always try one or two......I'm sure you wouldn't get hooked.....lol

I want Babylonian Fires. The one I have is a misfill....

Here's Arabian Archer

Thumbnail by NeilTR
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Very pretty color. Do you feed your iris and if so when? I have lots of buds! So exciting. This spring I should be seeing new faces from my last year buying spree LOL.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I love these and plan to try a couple more--the more vivid the colors the better:) I think the first one I ever saw and wanted was dardanus--loved the veining.

I was lucky enough to be in an iris swap and Neil sent Lady Mohr which I potted up and it bloomed (3 flowers) the first season (last year) and is looking great so far but no stalks or buds yet. Might be taking a season off from all the hard work last year:lol:

Georgeous photos and more for my wish list:lol:

Lebanon, OR

Better put your sun glasses on before you peek, see you did not listen...LOL

Carrot Top

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

My favorite color next to blue:lol: Wow! Definitely a 55 MPH flower on that one:)

Lebanon, OR

Yes, and trust me it is brighter...too bad not enough to sale.

D

South Hamilton, MA

Are the standards usually that open??? Like the color though. There are more orange bearded yellow & golds turning up.

Lebanon, OR

no, Lucy they are tighter but I wanted a picture LOL Impatient NOT ME...lol

D

South Hamilton, MA

Took pictures of pumilas yesterday--slides too hot today. DH tried with a cheap drugstore digital, could get it to take the picture, but not to display it. See why us elders don't play too much with new stuff?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love Carrot Top -- and that Arilbred is stunning. I love arilbreds and have quite a few myself, but they aren't blooming yet. Hopefully they will before long.
Went to the Albuquerque Median show today -- saw some stunning arilbreds. Khyber Pass was a knock out. So were lots of others. Queen of Show named Cleaopatra was almost pure Aril -- very exotic. Cindy Rivera of AndIris was the exhibitor.
I would love to have dardanus -- maybe next year.

I just received Dardanus this year, I tried growing it when I first started getting my iris illness and of course it died, so now I thought I will try it again. It needs extremely well drained soil, but if I can grow the Vera's Collection Arilbred (RB), I know I can get that little sucker to go.

CAIRO LOVE SONG

Thumbnail by 1913cat

GENETIC ARTIST

Thumbnail by 1913cat

BABYLONIAN FIRES

Thumbnail by 1913cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.