Kudos for an Ohio Utility...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dayton Power and Light will be turning their 1,000 acres of lawn into meadow, resulting in reduced maintenance costs, drastically reduced use of gas mowers, and lots of new homes for Ohio's wildlife. Brilliant.

Quoting:
An unremarkable three-acre grass lot here in the 2000 block of old Central Avenue will become part of a Dayton Power & Light initiative to create meadows not seen in some parts of Ohio for a century or longer.

The utility, during the next five years, will work to convert as many as 1,000 of its acres to native plant meadows — a prairie-like landscape that will require less maintenance and serve as a harbor for unusual plants, butterflies and other creatures.

DP&L’s announcement, which corresponds with Earth Day, April 22, said the utility will begin this year with 70 acres in seven counties, some near substations. Planting begins this fall. The 3- to 6-foot-tall meadow grasses mature in about three years.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/dpl-to-turn-substations-into-eco-friendly-prairies-90176.html

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Even I, a lizard-hearted manmade-global-warming-skeptical knuckle-dragging conservative, think this is a great idea. Everybody wins. DPL incurs lower expenses while getting great P.R., critters get an expanded habitat, & pollution goes down. All of this happens without any government intervention. This is conservation I can wholeheartedly cheer for!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Excellent!
This is in Miamisburg and Central is a beautiful street in it's own right.

Glad to see SOMEONE is finally working to beautify the Dayton area again.

Ric

Puddle, I giggled when I read your description. I think I've been described that way.

DP&L (my electric company) is no friend of mine but I'll happily give credit where credit is due. It's a great idea! Low maintenance and attractive to the bees and butterflies. A gold star goes to DP&L. YAY

Ric, the city is trying a little. We just spent $4 million dollars on Hills & Dales.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/everyone-is-excited-about-hills--dales-metropark-improvements-117081.html
I haven't been there so I don't know what it looks like. Huber Heights also just planted all four corners of the 201/I-70 interchange. I'm not sure what plants they used but it looks nice.

Dayton also just put the life-like statues downtown (we only rent them for the summer). I'm not much of an artsy person but I love these statues. I'd still prefer not spending the money when the city is laying off people but I like the artwork. For anyone who hasn't seen them, they look like real people when you're driving past them. They're scattered all around the city, sometimes in the oddest places. They're definitely head-turners. Here's some pics:
http://projects.daytondailynews.com/cache/galleries/News/Local/051109sculpture/

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Actually Hills & Dales looks great I was just thru there Velnita.
Kettering is where I grew up... Moraine is where I worked.

We'll have to go check it out. Usually we just go to Cox or Wegerzyn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.