need quick answer

Bridgewater, ME

How many feet do I need for 40 chickens for my run?It will be 12 ft. wide and how far back do I need to go?

Clarkson, KY

I'd want to go at least 20. Don't know, but I think the minimum recommendation is 3 square ft/bird... the more you are able to do of course the better your yard will hold up. Surely someone out there has actual experience...lots of someones...

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, and maybe 4 square feet for standard. Bantys dont need as much I guess. ;) Cant wait to see the finished product Green!!!

Clarkson, KY

Well that gets you recommendations of 3, 4, and 6, lol...

Ferndale, WA

Green that footage is coop footage, a run should be at least 20 x 40 for that many chickens. And even that means the run will not hold up. Meaning after just a short time there will be no grass left, just dirt. And we all know what happens to dirt when it rains. My run is about 80 x 150 and I only have about forty five on that. Haystack

Bridgewater, ME

I fought for 12x60 and thats what I`m getting as far as I know.LOL Taking pictures as they build,of coarse it statred raining yesterday and is going to rain untill Thusday,but they built a lot of things in the garage like the walls and put some pressed board on them but they will have to carry up a hill so they didn`t want it to heavy.I wish that I could fence the whole field in about 4 acres!!! Thanks for the answers.

Bridgewater, ME

This was Monday it was a beautiful day,if you look behind the trailer you will see snow still on the ground,I could not wait any longer for the building to start,this has been on my mind all winter and have looked at hundreds of pictures of coops and runs,I wish peaple would post some pictures of there runs,so I could get some ideas.

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

Haystack are you still interested in the pictures for a scrapbook and has anyone else showed any interest in that?

Bridgewater, ME

As you can see there coop and run are small,but there is only 10 of them and the newbies will be here next month,then there will around 40 in all.

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

We are so excited about our new home and run!! We are keeping an eye on things and making sure that it is done right.The pounding and air nailer was scary at first but we are fine with it now.

Thumbnail by green04735
Ferndale, WA

There was a little interest at first, but no one sent pic's, so I just kinda dropped it. I sometimes drop little hints of ideas I get that I think would be fun. If people really get on board then I don't mind doing the work. The scrapbook idea was something I thought would be fun and a great Christmas gift. But not having done it before I knew it would be a slow process for me to do it. So I wanted pic's and the whole year to do it right. When no pic's were sent I just assumed interest waned and thats alright with me. I don't like being pushy. I remember you saying come spring you were building a new coop and run. I am so excited for you, I saw your pic.s and felt a little giggly. It is so much fun for me to see what others are doing and their creative ideas are so excelllent. I hope you'll show lots of pic's for us. We want to celebrate with you. You have been so much fun to interact with. Haystack.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

There's alway the old fashioned chicken tractor........then you don't run out of green.

Ginger

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Did I miss something with the scrapbook?

Bridgewater, ME

The rain keeps dh and helper inside glad we have the garage to put some things togather

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

This was yesterday,and today the rain and wind are so bad can`t do anything,the tarps were not much good as the wind kept taking them off and the wafer board is wet.Darned old rain and wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

Our dog keeping a eye on everything

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

Can`t do anything else untill it stops raining

Thumbnail by green04735
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the pics too... it really feels like we are involved somehow.. :) I like the pic with the chairs out there.. LOL I do that too.. it's customary to sit and stare at what you did that day... good for the soul. ☺

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

great thread but when I read the first sentence:

"How many feet do I need for 40 chickens for my run?"

all I could think of... "well @2 apiece, 80 should start the race just fine."

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Yikes.. someone who thinks like me.

Ginger

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

That happens a lot here.. ^_^

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's a link I found earlier for someone else. I didn't read the whole thing yet, but it had a lot of good advice from what I could tell. And yes....bigger is always better! LOL!

http://extension.unh.edu/Agric/AGDLEP/PoulRab.htm

Bridgewater, ME

up goes the sides

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

We are so eggcited,this is the back,we will have big windows for the sun in the winter time

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

I have another question about molting,what do they look like when they molt?Tried to find pictures but could not find any.Do they loose all there feathers at once,and do they lose everywhere or just certian places?I know that they will stop laying when they molt so mine are not molting yet,do they lose in the winter time>They would be some cold her in maine if they did.

Clarkson, KY

Think mostly the tails go first. Though of course there's no standard in anything much. They'll start looking raggedy and smaller. Then you'll notice that a wingtip, a tail, something looks missing. When they really start looking pitiful and you're really starting to worry --look for short, shiny spots. In mine the short feathers seem to come out of the tubes first. Sometimes I'll spot the tubes, but mostly it's the suddenly sleek spots underneath that come back first.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.flickr.com/111/295022934_f67388188b_d.jpg&imgrefurl=http://andrewsherman.blogspot.com/2006/11/moulting-chicken.html&usg=__PGVUAy66kONZwwKyx9kRF5k-xIE=&h=500&w=313&sz=145&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=pKKl7MRRsU51UM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=81&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmoulting%2Bchickens%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Forgot --one of the very first things I notice is oddly fluffy spots. (and extra feathers on the ground). When the feathers start loosening and coming off they just don't look quite sleek. This blog shows 'em about halfway through, I think. 'Start looking funny waaay before this stage...

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

WOW Green! Looking good! This is exciting! :D

Bridgewater, ME

Thanks grownut for the info and pictures

Clarkson, KY

^_^

Bridgewater, ME

Roof got shingled yesterday and the sides are on.

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

My carpenter A.J inside trying to get the window level

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

My dh putting the window in on the outside and the girls watching and saying we like our big window.

Thumbnail by green04735
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Anticipation...

That is gonna be one NICE coop!!! How fun!

Richmond, TX

Wow! Tyvek and all! That coop is better built than our house. Lucky chickens!

Bridgewater, ME

front door is in and t 1 11 is almost all done on the outside

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

This is the back door

Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

Puting on the t1 11 which I will paint white when they get it all on and trim in green,thats the color of our home and the garage,the little coop will be painted white instead of the yellow and it is already trimed in green

Thumbnail by green04735
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! When can I move in???

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

WOW! Emergency exit and everything. I am so not showing this to my chickens. They will protest and quit laying. LOL That is a wonderful chicken house. I am very happy for you. I remember when DH was building mine. I was so excited. I would sit and watch. Cant wait til its done. :)

Bridgewater, ME

Going to try to paint today,saying showers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.