how can you tell-grafted?

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

how can you tell if a tree has been grafted?i was looking at a crusader hawthorn and there were suckers by the trunk also the trunk looked strange at the base,is this a way of telling?also the main branch at the center was cut and a new branch was growing on the side,this was on all 4 of the crusaders they had,why would they do this?i hate suckers!!!!! i did just purchase a beautiful nannyberry viburnum tree,i did not realize how bad it would sucker-i need to carry a book with me when i go to the nursery :) happy gardening

Thumbnail by queenbeez
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Can you post a picture of the trunk, particularly of the area of the root flare?

Barmera, Australia

G'Day.
If the tree is budded (Bud Graft) it will have a dogleg where the bud has grown out from the side of the stock. Often the same can be seen with a graft but also for the first few years the outline of the graft cuts can be seen. Depending on the stock and scion relationship you will probably be able to see a difference in the the type of bark or colour at the union. As Snapple45 says can we see a clear close up photo of about from ground level to 18" above.then we may be able to see what I have indicated above.
Regards Brian

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

i don't have a pic i didnt buy the hawthorn.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
This photo shows the "Dogleg" when a plant is Budded. They are Apricots on Plum Rootstock notice the different colour of the stock and scion. Some grafts will have the same "dogleg" but some where below the bend you will be able to see the old scars from the graft. After a few years as the tree increases in diameter the "Dogleg" will be over grown and the tree will appear straight.

Thumbnail by Stake

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.