Planting a clematis with a climbing rose

Saint Louis, MO

I want to plant a Will Goodwin clematis with a Dream Weaver climbing rose, hosever, I am not sure how to place the plant. Advice/suggestions please

Mariposa in St. Louis MO

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Is your rose in container from the nursery? Or is it bareroot? How big is the rose and how big is your clematis?

For me, when I plant the two plants together from the start is best. I dig the hole, 3 times the size of the rose and clematis. Place the clematis no more than a foot next to the rose's root ball.

Key to success in our gardening project; prepare your soil ahead of the time, condition your soil with compost/manure sand if needed should your soil is clayish and compacted, peat. Once planted, water them in well. There after continue to irrigate the area to keep moist for at least 2 weeks or until established (when you see new growth shoots from either of the rose or clem.) From there on? Sit back and enjoy.

I'm a gardener, and not an expert.
Happy gardening.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is an example of my 'Multi-blue' clem. interplanted with my climbing roses. (There is a single blooming clematis in the background, I've forgotten its I.D.)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Delaware, OH

will goodwin will bloom low for a few years, at least, in a northern zone. so plant where the will goodwin blooms will not be hidden by the rose. it will probably bloom before the rose, altho i do not know your zone or climate details, mariposa. speaking of my zone.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

mariposa: Besides amending the soil, you might want to add a handful of bone meal to help stimulate the root development. Also remember to plant your Clematis at a 45 degree angle. That way you have the largest surface area coming in contact with the soil. good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.