garden Pics "This caught my eye today.....#2"

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

A thread for just about anything that is going on in your garden, or whatever plants you felt like taking pictures of!! I hope that everyone joins in from anywhere, since we're all Northwest of somewhere! This time I remembered to use RJ's Title!! wahoo!

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/973344/

Love the Rainier pic RJ

That's funny Bea.... I've never seen a pink and white Polemoniun. lol.

A picture of a magnolia that I tried to load yesterday, but the computer wouldn't hear of it.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 2:06 PM

Thumbnail by redchic01
(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Redchick...I am grinning...you used my title! Brain cells weren't burned for naught after all! :) Another stunning magnolia shot!

Thanks to all of you for the advice on protecting the bulbs. I am probably going to try a combination of the methods for the different size bulbs. I had lilies planted between my roses in my front bed, and still have some left, but I think they must be the yucky tasting ones. All of my oriental's are gone, and I would love to be able to have them back again! HMMM..been a long time since I've gone bulb shopping..should be fun!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Great pics, Shelly! That is really a cool magnolia (from previous thread). I've never seen one that looks like that.

Karen

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Tis her in her glory!

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And under her lovely boughs

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And these

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And this little guy

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Thanks all.

RJ...There's never a wasterd brain cell around here! lol. By me nor you!! lol

I should probably clarify something on the first magnolia pic on this thread and the last one that I post on the prior thread. ..... They are from the same tree!! The picture up above is a flower that still has it's petals! The picture on the thread before this is of a flower that has already lost it's petals!

Great pictures Willow! I love that magnolia tree! And what a great job you've done planting under it too!

Redchick, Got the idea on the magnolia blossom when the center of the second one you posted looked a lot like the first pic. No matter, still stunning!

Willow, I agree..the magnolia tree is awesome, as are the plantings underneath! I have a Magnolia stellata, and an evergreen form that I lost the tag on that has never had a flower, but that's it. I would love to have one with larger blooms some day..they just dominate the landscape when they are in bloom, don't they?

I knew that there was never a wasted brain cell with you RJ!! lol. The evergreen magnolias can sometimes take many years to bloom, especially if it is just the straight species. Hopefully yours is some selected variety that will bloom younger. Your stellata will demand attention someday! I also love the fact that they are usually earlier than the others and then they are fragrant to boot. Oh.... if only I had a ton of room and could plant both the large and the small of everything!!!

Eugene, OR

I just go around and enjoy everyone else's. Lovely pics everyone!!

Ok.... try number two at adding a photo. Maybe if I do it as fast as possible???

Ok..... since it worked, Now I'll add the comment again.....

If anyone wonders why I don't like Ivy, this is why. It's a little dark and not very sharp because it was actually raining outside when I took these pictures (last tuesday)

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 11:27 PM

Thumbnail by redchic01

I love the color of this one!!!

Thumbnail by redchic01

gee.... something just seems a little out of place here.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Well I'll give it one more shot. the computer completely tripped out for the last 20 min. or so.

finally.... a ray of light.....

Thumbnail by redchic01
Eugene, OR

That last one is a keeper!!! Beautiful!

this is the last one. Taken the day before yesterday. and definitely not at my place!!!!

Thumbnail by redchic01

Thanks Sally!

I really hope to get back home and take a picture of that trillium in all the ivy on a day when there's some sun out. I think it has potential. but, then again, that could just be because It's a trillium and they all have potential if you ask me!!

Redchick, That poor trillium! No wonder you hate the ivy! Anything that can overgrow a sword fern is a problem! Our woods look a lot alike. Tilly has the same look too, but I figured that down that far south there would be a more significant difference. What sticks in my mind most of your area are the rolling fields and the oak trees. You must be closer to the coast? We spend a lot of time in the dunes in the Coos Bay and Florence areas, so have driven through many a time and I always tell my husband that if our world ever dissapeared, that is where I would want to restart. I loved all of your pics as usual, but the anenome (sp?) and the last magnolia pic especially were breathtaking!

I am usually on my way to work by now, but had an emergency (hopefully not) come up with Mom who had eye surgery a few days ago. Am waiting until the doc opens to see what's up.

Had been working around my big pond this weekend, and bit off more than I could chew (as usual) so didn't quite finish my project on Sunday. Came home after work last night and planted all of the things that I had left out on Sunday (12 new daylilies and a japanese maple). Woke up in the middle of the night remembering that I had also gotten 5 upright fushias and another little kid (name escapes me at the moment) that were nicely laid out on the back side of the pond.....and were still there. Was up 45 minutes early to get them in the ground this am. Got a big surprise when I walked up to the bridge and my Barred Owl flew off of the post! He sat up in the trees just out of good camera viewing (I really need a camera that has a better zoom!) watching me as I planted. Think he is fishing for my few goldfish that I have finally seen in the pond!

This is my big pond garden...one of the biggest work in progress areas in my world.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

With the sunny days, the tulips are really trying to show some color.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And my front steps are in full bloom. I keep telling myself I will divide these guys after they bloom, and then never quite get to it. Love them though!

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pictures all! I found this little flower hiding on the edge of the driveway under tulip & daff leaves. Any idea what it is? It sure is cute.

Red. What is that beautiful flowers name in post 644103?

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 5:49 AM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

BeaHive: yours is Nemophila.
Red's is an Anemone. (De Caan???)

Thanks Bea.... that flower was completely inspired by your wonderful pictures!!! There is a little garden center across the street from one of my jobs that was selling it. They have it tagged as Anemone ' Harmony Mix'. From what I can tell... that should be anemone coronaria, and anemone De Caene is part of anemone coronia. Your "Nemo" is sure cute.

RJ.... I do think that we are quite similar in floral features. However, I'm not too sure about the Rolling hills and Oak trees. We do have oak trees, but there's not really any Oak savanahs my way. However, as one gets more towards the coast.... there are. I'll take a picture of the "hills" from my back and front yard here this afternoon.
I sure hope that your mom is all right. Let us know!!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Katye..thanks for the ID. Not sure where it came from. I just planted a few of these in back, but surely they have not reseeded and flown to the front yard. I do not even have blooms on the new ones. Strange but a cute surprise.

Red.. Glad you were able to find the anemone. You will love them! I knew what that one was...I typed the wrong number . I was wondering what post 6441003 was. Two pics above the anemone??

Picked up these anemones last weekend. Pic is from the packaging. It will be awhile before I get some flowers.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Don't know if anyone missed me or not, big puter is giving me a hard time, Bin working On the lap top but I can't send pic just got it going, per say, I hate this >>>
Pics to share.
My Camilla

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is another of my loves.

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Redchick, I am looking forward to seeing your "hills"! I haven't spent a lot of time in central Oregon...drove through once to Kalamath Falls, but was almost 20 years ago, so don't remember much. Have driven through the east side quite a few times, and spend a lot of time between I-5 and the coast...guess I just assumed that because the land opened up in the I-5 area, it stayed that way. Guess that's what they mean when they say Ass-U-Me!

Bea, That will be a wonderful addition to your anenome collection! Love the colors!

Tilly, Of course you were missed! Don't you hate when technology acts up!?! Love the camelia! I have one similar, but it is nowhere close to open yet, and will only have a couple of blooms. Your primrose is beautiful too. We have very similar garden taste!! I have the same kid and absolutely love him...Mom says he is "gaudy". To each their own!

Mom's emergency this morning was that she woke up not being able to see out of the eye they had operated on at all. After they totally panicked her by telling her that it might be that her retina had detached, we spent several hours waiting to see the doctor and found out that it was just hemmorhaging(sp?) that SHOULD go away in a couple of weeks. It is slightly better tonight, so we are crossing our fingers.

Not much time for pics after a wild day, but did get a shot of my viburnum starting to bloom again. It was wonderfully budded out in January, and then of course...froze....

Thumbnail by Rarejem

I'm just bouncing through Dave's and happened upon this beautiful pic.

Had to post this:

IMHO: This picture should be entered in the DG contest this year. I think it is fantastic!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6438365

Okay, now I'll go back to my Oklahoma forum where I rarely post. LOL

April

April, I agree! Redchick posts a lot of incredible pics...she has the touch!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, Shelly, that explains things about the magnolia blossom. Now I get it! Actually, I think the pic you took turned out quite good. Really makes that patch of ivy look quite lush.

Boy, that ivy pic is just a sea of green, and that one white trillium blossom really draws the eye right to it. Love the anemone with the back lighting! Oh, and the pic of the 2 different magnolias with blue sky is fantastic!

Your pond garden looks great, Rarejem! I know what you mean about dividing bulbs. This year I have finally gotten around to dividing some daffs, English bluebells, snowdrops and crocus.

Bea, those anemones you got look gorgeous. I want some!

Nice camelia and primula, Tilly!

We are being inundated by rain today, and it's still going strong, so obviously I got nothing done in the gardens. I did sow some seeds for WSing today, though. Here is what I started today:

Lupinus hartwegii subsp. cruckshankii (say that 6 times fast!) 'Sunrise'
Lupinus texensis (Texas Bluebonnet)
Petunia 'Flambe Salmon'
Scabiosa 'House's Novelty'
Viola 'Blue Bronze'
Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Red Cloak' (this one can take up to 9 months to germinate, so I have a long wait!)

Karen

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You are absolutely right, April and Rarejem. Shelly is a great photographer.

Karen

Wow, thanks folks... You're making me blush, really!

Aunt_A ..... I hope that you stay around! this thread is for everyone from anywhere! I'd love to see what's going on over your way!

Bea... those red and white anemones are going to be great! The name of the plant of that number is Osteospermum 'Copper purple'. (African Daisy) I don't usually deal with annuals, but for some reason I have a soft spot for the fancy colors of African Daisies!

Tilly, I was wondering where you have been. I was going to ask just this evening if anyone had heard from you lately. Great Pics!! Hopefully we'll see what all has been going on your way!

Rj.... Lol.. .you're funny! i didn't have time to get the pictures off of my camera tonight. So, I'm going to see if I can find one that I posted on a different thread a couple of months ago. I'm sure that your memory serves you well. I confuse folks with some of the pics that I post because I take many of them in Eugene, where it's a little flatter and the climate is a tad more mild. However, I mix the pot and occasionally throw in ones that I've taken at home, about an hour from eugene.
Nice Viburnum!! THey smell sooooo good.

Karen... You're too kind! You have quite the undertaking going on there in seeds. Very comendable! I don't have that sort of patience very often. I love that pulsatilla though. Well worth the wait.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Rj..... this link is to a picture that I took from a place where I landscape at in Springfield. Under the copyright writing in the upper left corner it says "gardner 105 lives about here".... She's in Bend, I'm a little ways outside of Oakridge, this picture was taken in Springfield which is right next to Eugene.... litterally across the the rd. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6059941

Thumbnail by redchic01

I just love this maple in the spring! Wish it were mine!

Thumbnail by redchic01

a better pic of the daisy.

Thumbnail by redchic01

another one.... can you tell that I've fallen head over heals for this little thing already?!

Thumbnail by redchic01

These two pics are of a much larger acer negundo Kelly's Gold. I posted pics earlier of my little one.

Thumbnail by redchic01

a little closer.

Thumbnail by redchic01

ok... last for now.

just a few more anemones. .....

Thumbnail by redchic01

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.