new to Quilting, please help

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi to all of you! This may seem silly, but I have a question on materials to use for making a quilt. I grew up around my Grandmother and church ladies and their quilting, my mother taught me to sew my own clothes, and I sewed for my kids when they were little. However, I suppose this never really crossed my mind.. I usually bought poly/cotton blends, wools, etc to sew with, so am familiar with material. Now that I am not working, I would like to attempt to put a small quilt together. My scraps are mainly poly/cotton, but the quilt books call for 100% cotton. I perused the local fabric store until I was cross-eyed, looking at white 100% cotton, but there was also bolts labeled as 'muslin' that looked the same. I remember Grandma saying she used muslin for household items, like aprons, pillows, etc. Is there a difference and what do all of you use for white or neutral backgrounds or the backs of the quilts?
I love to read your entries on this forum, so many talented people here!
Thanks for any suggestions!

Kathy

This thread has 25 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!