A quick question about kohlrabi seeds

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a kohlrabi plant I have overwintered in hopes of getting seed from it. This is what it looks like now. Can anyone tell me where the seeds will appear and how to harvest them. This is what it looked like a week ago. Now it has some yellow flowers on it.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

my family grow them and they grow good. ate it but no nothing about seed.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks anyway. How do you cook yours?

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Don't know about hope but we eat ours raw here.
As far as the seed they take a while , you will see them develop after the flowers. The seeds are of good size so you won't miss them.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks a million. That is good to know. The little small seeds get past me at times.

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

They make small seed pods which contain brown, perfectly round seeds. 5-10 of them in each pod.
If there are little round holes in the pods, don't bother but throw them away. There will be a caterpillar living inside of it!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Will the seed pod come from the flower or will it be a spike that comes up from the "bulb"?

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

It will come from the flowers, at the top of the plant.....

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I'll watch it every day.

(Phyllis) Osceola, PA(Zone 5b)

My DH eats them raw too..but what he doesn't eat I cube and parboil in the microwave for 7 min. on a covered bowl with water...
Cool off and freeze in pint bags and I add it to my stews...it gives it a nice taste...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I love stews and soups. Nice to know it can be frozen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.