Another iris needing ID

Kannapolis, NC

Here's a sky blue iris blooming today in my garden. Don't know what variety it is. Anyone?

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

check out information on babbling book from keppel

Kannapolis, NC

Oltmanns: I'm not familiar with the source you cite. Please clarify.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Princess Caroline De Monaco?

Use plant files

Thumbnail by oltmanns
Kannapolis, NC

Oltmanns: It does look very similar to `Babbling Brook.'

1913: I didn't find PCM in the plant files to compare it to.

TY both, though.

I found PMC by google and that came up as a plant file entry, the beard on PMC is pale orange not yellow and white.

I have spent hours searching sites to find a perfect match for a unamed iris. It is tedious work, but when you find the perfect match you know it. I ordered Victoria Falls and it was really Babbling Brook. Also ordered Starship Enterprise and got Bold Fashion. I ordered 7 iris from a mail order catalogue here in Canada and got 7 miss named.
I only order from Snowpeaks now, I learnt the hard way buy only from a reputable seller.
Now when an new iris blooms for me and it looks exactly like I think it should, only better in person I am truly happy. DH says he can tell when I get a bloom from a new iris, I get all excited and have to have everyone come see.

Lebanon, OR

So do I Lynn, they are starting to bloom, even got one of my seedlings to bloom this early. This is 3 days later than last year.

D

And thank you for the vote of convidence!

South Hamilton, MA

Princes Caroline de M has an orange beard by the way.

Hi Dee

You are welcome. Have all my beds cleaned, still some snow laying around, just so glad to be outside. Will be end of May before I see blooms, seems like ages away.

Every thing ordered from you last year showing green, awesome.

Lebanon, OR

Glad that you are out in the garden:) and happy to hear that the iris you bought from me are all doing well.

D

Makes you feel good doen't it Dee????

Lebanon, OR

Oh Cat it does feel good as many vistiors are due this year, and we have 2/3 of field 1 the bearded done and the rest of rows are quite easy IE no clover, and field 2 only has about 10 rows to clean as others are AOK.

Next week have got to start the sib, JI, and spuria shipping and Fri must pack the truck for farmers market, only 5 this year.

Then we will finish getting the wedding garden ready so it will be pretty for the wedding, alot of plant removal and putting in pots until after the wedding so we can put down more stepping stones for the wedding party.

This week must cut out the muslin fitting bodice and fit on Sun then will cut out and start sewing on it..

D

South Hamilton, MA

The wedding sounds great , but so much work in addition to plants. Our oldest DD sews & I was able to have her make curtains for the dinning room. bought the material & paid her for her time & mailing. She lives in Ohio. She defintly did not get her sewing skills from me.

Kannapolis, NC

Oltmanns: What do you think about "Color Me Blue" for this ID? It looks more like mine and doesn't have the orange beard that BB and PCM have.

Angie

Lebanon, OR

Angie, truthfully if you could see all the blue selfs you would understand why this is like asking for a person to find a needle in a haystake as that would be easier.

D

Babbling Brook does not have orange beards --- yellow tipped blending to yellow in the throat.

Kannapolis, NC

Sorry, Oltmanns. I thought somewhere I read about BB having the orange beard like PCM. You're right. It's like finding a needle in the proverbial haystack. I appreciate all your help. I'll keep checking.

Raleigh, NC

my PCM has more waves, or ruffles than this one. looks like it might have been from around the 80's.

there are so many dozens this color! but it's probably one of my favorite colors.

wish I could come back for a visit, Dee. but we are talking about my going to nationals after all. just don't know if I'll feel up to it. and if I haven't already written it, please have a blessed wedding. most important thing there will be two people before God. if it's meant to be, it will be forever. have played many a wedding. have seen all types of brides, grooms and their folks at them. but that 's all that it really is. two people before God.

Honestly there is only one way to identify iris and that is to buy ones that are similar and compare, we can only say maybe this or that, but that does not mean it is that.

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

1913 cat by the way, my This And That is blooming. I know, bad pun....

YOUR FUNNY, LOLOLO

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

This And That

Thumbnail by Gabriel25

It's a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi there everybody,
I'm new and just posted a photo to Plant and Trees identification section yesterday. I just noticed that this one looks very similar to mine. I wonder if it might be the same. I searched thru THOUSANDS of photos and Babbling Brook was one of the closest matches, others were Azur Whir, Tea Service, Eleanor's Pride, Helen McGregor, Sky Search, Ballet in Blue and Joyful Skies... whew! Anyway, it's fragrant and some of them are not, some are more ruffled and some less... I'll be happy if you can take a look at my posting and maybe give me another suggestion. After about a week it started blooming, now the flowers come almost completely white... no more of that gorgeous BB's sky blue... Here's the photo of mine.
But as for this one, I say it's BB.

Thumbnail by wagnerska
Raleigh, NC

wagnerska, problem with this type is that there's probably another 30 names it could be. nearly every iris, except for the really unique ones, like say a Decadence) has about 12 to 30 dopplegangers.

wait another 20 years, and there will be another five hybrids that look just exactly like Decadence! but smell better, grow better, or increase better (that last would be nice) LOL that's what you get for having 1,000 new irises registered each year.

it's blue, it's lovely - that's enough to know!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.