Mmmmm, fresh garden leaves

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

I went out to take more pics for the toms curling leaves, and found that I have several different kinds of visitors. Good news is, I don't need a new camera, as I thought, the pics are quite good.

I have 7 dust in the shed, can I use that for the visitors for now? An emergency tx until I can get something better?

This pic is the first guy on the toms. my suspicion is that he is causing the leaves to curl.

Thumbnail by 2busygardening
Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Peppers. I thought these were eggs, until I looked at the pic. It's obvious that they are more than eggs, just not sure what.

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

This little guy is on the romaine. I had no idea that the entire garden has become a bed and breakfast.

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

More romaine

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Dang, your camera is good at closeups!!!! Those are definately Aphids on your peppers.....Best cure of all? Dawn dishwashing liquid mixed with water and sprayed on heavy. Will kill em dead quick and works better on Aphids than poison.

Good old sevin dust is fine for the other bugs, still works after all these years :)

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

And here's another little guy. I am not sure, this is not as good a pic as the others, but it looks like this is a litltle guy with 2 horns on the top. If not, I'm just bug crazy now. Anyhoo, this is a yellow squash plant.

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, thanks for the good news on the 7 since I"m not tip top today and really didn't want to have to go out tomorrow for this.

I had NO idea the camera would do this. Especially the 'egg' picture. Imagine my surprise.

Opps, forgot the worm. I gotta go find him.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2009 11:02 PM

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

This is what I posted before, thinking it was the lace worm.

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Same guy, closer

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

And this is what he has done all over.

Crestview, FL

2 busy gardening: It's a catepillar and if it has horns you'd better do the drop and stomp real quick, they grow huge pretty quick, you said it looked like it had horns on it, oooooh, my goodness, sounds like the awful horned catepillar, he loves peppers, eggplants, tomatoes and potatoes, not sure about squash. Then either use Dipel dust or Fertilome Triple action plus or something with BT in it.
joy

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

2Busy what camera did you use?

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Exilim by casio. It's not even the newest. I was considering buying the newest until I saw these pics.

3.2 mega pixels I believe it's about 4 or 5 years old.

Lake Elsinore, CA

Great pictures, 2busygardening! I see you've got a world class Bug Zoo that rivals mine. :)

I only recognize the aphids... I have plenty of aphids if anyone wants to buy some. LOL!

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

I try!!! :)

And things were rolling along so well. Then, BANG! It's like I've opened up a bed and breakfast for any and all kinds of pests.

I put some 7 on it today. I'm hoping that will help, it sure seems that all this effort should not be for nothing.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Aphids are definitely the cause of your leafs curling. I just went out and killed a bunch. They're kinda fun to pop with your fingers. After squishing a few hundred or so my hands are pretty gooey :)

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Aphids: that's the soap and water one, right? I'm going to do that tomorrow. I figured between the soap and the 7 I ought to be able to get a handle on all of the visitors.

Lake Elsinore, CA

The Mexican Beetles (ladybug look alikes but orange not red!) have made their debut today. Oh, those monsters can really eat.

I'm going to have to put Sevin on, too. I have the dust. Must do that tomorrow at the crack of dawn or they'll have eaten holes in everything out there. Found them on the lettuce. Peppers are going outside tomorrow night...

I agree, all this effort should not be for nothing. I don't know that there are any beneficials here that eat those beetles.

Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

I wish you sucess with your garden visitors. Let em plant their own garden I say. D

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

BTW, are the aphids the ones that I thought were seeds until I saw the pic? The little green ones? I figure they might have been babies since they were so small, but they kinda look like what I thought an aphid looked like only the wrong color.

Lake Elsinore, CA

Ray_Der_Phan

Don't waste the aphids, we can toss them into the blender with the tomato horned worms. :)

Aphids... yes. Show them no mercy with the soap.

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Devota: I'm with you. If they would just stay in their own, I would even make them their own raised bed. But, from what I've seen, you just can't trust these buggers.

Lake Elsinore, CA

Yes, they are 2 busy. And dish liquid with water sprayed on works great on those.
And never a better or clearer pic of those devils have I ever seen. They must be related to mine, they are identical. LOL

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

The MASTER BLASTER with the DAWN. that's what I'll do. yep, that's it.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh the Mexican Bean Beetles are voracious little suckers. I don't have many around but I know when I do because they can damage a plant real fast.

Oh and that little guy with 2 horns on his head looks like a Scale bug. I have plenty of them around.

Careful, Linda will want to come to your assistance with her crossbow.

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

The scale bug. Will the 7 get him?

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

I have so many it seems we will need more than one bow.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Don't waste the aphids, we can toss them into the blender with the tomato horned worms. :)

LOL Oh ya! They would add just the right amount of flavor to our Green Machine drink :)

I'm starting to itch all over with this bug talk. Oh I did get bit again by a tick yesterday but he or she paid with their life. They don't bother the dog. hmm maybe I need to use a flea and tick collar.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Sevin doesn't work on any of the bugs that I have. Think they're immune to every kind of insecticide I can get in Cali. They only thing Sevin did was kill some bees last year :( I vowed to never use that stuff again.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's some info on Scale bugs...

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/scale-bug-how-to-control-plant-scale.htm

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm trying to get to a place where I can get some stuff from Bob, but not there just yet. I'm hoping this will do it. XXXX your fingers for me.

Oh and the blender thing, I'm right there with you.......

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Cool, the soap will work for him as well.

Lake Elsinore, CA

I mentioned this in another thread, thus the joke about the green drinks... ugh!

My neighbor swears that if you blend the pests together, add some water, strain it and spray them on the plants it is the best insecticide he's used.

I don't think he was joking. But I haven't got THAT many bugs to find out for sure. :)

However, the way things are going over here, it wouldn't be beyond me to go on a bug hunt, the neighbors wouldn't mind if I went around picking all the bugs of their plants, ya think?

Lake Elsinore, CA

I have more than one bow! I've got 4. And a slingshot!

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Sounds good, we ride at sunset!!! I'll bring the coffee, you bring the bows. Can I use the slingshot? It's probably the safer for me. lol

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

I just emailed Bob to see about his Stylet oil and how many of my visitors it will take care of. Maybe I will have to do that sooner than later.

Lake Elsinore, CA

I'm using the Stylet oil. It works great but you have to keep applying it until they are all gone. If you miss one aphid, they'll be back in full force. The soap and water works well on them, too.

I bought the Stylet Oil for the spider mites that show up here in very hot, dry weather. They are sucker bugs also.

I think, from my limited experience that it works best on bugs that suck on the leaves, thus the name Stylet (stylet is that thing sucker bugs use to pierce the leaves) It smothers them.

I can say that it has had little to no effect on the beneficals here, it works on contact with little residual even the next day. So you have to stay on it and don't spray it during the day, you have to do it in the evening.

Yes, make that coffee strong, we might be up for awhile.

Wanted to add that it won't kill caterpillar types or even my Mexican beetles.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2009 6:22 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.