What's up with this?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

A number of years ago I planted an extra H. johnsonii on the far edge of the property and forgot about it. This year I am clearing that area and low and behold I found the amaryllis again. It multiplied and interestingly, one of them is now salmon/pink. These bulbs had no supplimental water or any food at all over the years.

Thumbnail by ardesia

A close up.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Mobile, AL

Ardesia,

Am I assuming correctly that these blooms were on separate bulbs?

If so, then your pink one is most likely a gorgeous seedling. Perhaps, one of your Johnsonii produced a pod, and they spilled to the ground.

Certainly, mark this pink one somehow and keep your eye out for others.

I have found that it is possible to self Johnsonii. I have many selfed Johnsonii seedlings growing and hope that they will bloom next year, if not this year. You give me hope that at least one will turn out to be pink.

Congratulations! I adore your pink as much as I adore Johnsonii!

Ann

Yes, seperate bulbs; sorry I should have made that clear. There is a third one coming up also but I don't think it will bloom this year. There are many other amys around so I maybe the bees helped out a bit.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It's beautiful!

Thanks, I am excited about this one. The flower is not as well formed but, as I mentioned, they have had no food or water. I'm going out to self it this morning and keep my fingers crossed. :-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Very lovely! I have an old heirloom amaryllis that varies in color depending on the conditions. It often blooms both in winter and summer. When it blooms indoors it is a shade of salmon, more intense with stronger light. Outdoors the blooms are usually orange to scarlet. Your 2 blooms make me think of the palest and deepest colors I've seen from that plant.

Interesting. I have isolated the odd one and will watch it to see what happens next year.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Very pretty!!!

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

they do seed so that is what probably happened that it got polinated with something else maybe a white one from somewhere and it made a pink wow that is cool I just planted mine this week so they wont bloom till the end of july or so, mine are summer bulbs I have to store them for the winter

I'm sure you are right. You will have lovely flowers in your garden soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.