What to look for: Multi-trunk Crepe Myrtle

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, folks. I don't think about trees much, except to care for them. I can't remember when I've ever purchased a tree in order to plant for a specific plant design element. But I want to plant a white crepe myrtle at the opposite end of my front yard landscape from a dwarf multi-trunk magnolia.

I hope to provide year-round interest with the shape, leaves, flowers. For both design purposes and because the tree will rest under a 60+YO Modesto Ash (shade about 5 hours a day) I expect/want it to be a small little guy, multi-trunk. I've looked at both big box and local nurseries. I find both single trunk at the ground with multi-branches (it would seem) moving out from the ground, as well as apparently large shrubs. In either case I see a specimen which has no single or multiple trunks moving front ground level and continuously upward with branches off those main trunks. They have been pruned multiple times, with said trunks lacking a smooth visual movement, but rather with geometrical back and forth, sideways, returning upward, yadda yadda yadda.

Is it reasonable to look for a specimen with said multiple (3-5) smooth trunks growing upward with branches pruned off/growing from these trunks?

See the east corner of the expanse here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5537397 and the west corner here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5537445

Oh, and another thing, they all seem to be "chopped off" at a particular height, say 6-8 feet. Shouldn't tree trunks be encouraged to simply grow until they reach a desirable height? (which perhaps the grower deemed to be what I saw)

I am thinking perhaps a large shrub specimen, or one of the dwarfish trees.

Can you provide me with some help, wisdom, here? I'm baffled.

Linda

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would head over to a reputable local nursery (not the big box stores) and have them assist you in picking one out that will have the size/shape you're looking for. Unless you're buying an almost full-grown specimen, it'll be very hard to judge what it will look like when it grows up based on how it looks in the nursery pot.

Also, how much sun does the area get? You mentioned 5 hrs of shade--is it in direct sun the rest of the day? Crapes do best in full sun, if they have too much shade they won't bloom as well and will tend to be more prone to powdery mildew. There are some cultivars that are resistant to powdery mildew, so I would definitely add that to your list of criteria.

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Yeah, ecrane, that's what I was thinking I really needed to do. I'm always trying to cut corners, of course, but this may be one of those few instances in which it definitely doesn't make sense to do that and to do so would lead to longstanding disappointment with the outcome.

We have a nursery, in fact, nearby, which specializes in trees. So, I'll connect with them.

The other nearby independent and small nursery? I just don't trust those folks to do much for me except sell me something. They do a lot of landscape design and development, and unless you're in the crowd of big spenders, you're not of much interest to them unless you're purchasing large quantities of annuals and roses. Phooey on them!

Good call, girl!
Thx again,
Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.