Can the first blooms be "different?"

Cincinnati, OH

I am curious about something I have observed at least twice. When my newly planted "Coalignition" bloomed for the first time, the blooms looked more like "Lady Friend" than what I expected. Then suddenly they were opening in the darker appropriate shades. I have pictures of the two different blooms on the same plant about a week apart. The same thing had happened with "Two Sided Coin" a few years ago. Last season "Wearing Rubies" opened one stalk and they were all lighter than expected. I am waiting to see what it does this year. Is this normal?

I also have a complaint! When roaming through one of the threads a picture was posted of an iris named "Wrong Song" - I have looked everywhere to find out more about this ghost. Can't find any place that is selling it. Not Fair! I can't find the picture again either. Maybe it was an illusion. Whoever posted the picture knows so I hope to get a response. It was really wonderful.

Lebanon, OR

Still thought I had it but no longer do. For commerical growers once an iris stops selling or does not sell well it is put on the compost pile

D

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Wrong Song http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/172112/

I can't seem to find a vendor that currently has it listed. It is one of those 'to die for' ones.

Raleigh, NC

I'll keep my eyes out for it for you, but I've never heard of it before. Niswonger still hybridizes, doesn't he, Dee?

Cincinnati, OH

Thanks for offering to keep a lookout. Someone has it and I am gonna keep searching. Meanwhile my SDBs are blooming and it is beginning to look like Spring in Cinci. Time to try out my new digital Nikon! So far Firestorm, Pele, and Sass w/ Class, and Plum Wine are open. Arils are not far behind. To me this time of year is like the night before Xmas.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I want that one too!

Oh, Cat, where are you??????????????

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I dmailed her. ^_^

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Be Patient guys, it does multiply rapidly, but next season it should/might be ready, I want to keep a good stock of it, so I need more for increase. Here is another view of it.

Happy Day

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

i want, i want, I want

Cincinnati, OH

I can be patient, but I want to be on the list! That is just beautiful. Would like to know your history with it. Thanks!

Lebanon, OR

Well here in OR it grew very well and increased well.

D

I honestly do not remember who/where I got it from, but I have had it for probably 2 years this year.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Irislvr this is Lakeside Elf Maiden bloom

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

And Now

Not only do they change appearance after being moved, Weather, sprayed, age of a seedling also has an effect so I would think even an established cultivar is the same
:)
A

Thumbnail by avmoran
Raleigh, NC

irislovr, my High Master's maiden bloom was UGGGLY. almost tossed it.

but 2nd year is was wonderful

and is it just my poor eyesight, or does this wrong song look like Lights Camera Action?

Cincinnati, OH

I almost tossed Coalignition because I thought it was mislabled. From now on I will wait for subsequent bloom. I had wondered if it was the weather, but kind of ruled that out. By contrast some of my Arils have bloomed from the git go in astonishing colors. Glad to know others have seen the same thing. Thanks for the pictures avmoran. I hope my Wearing Rubies looks like it should this year. I had an artist paint a clump of WR on my kitchen wall - I will be disappointed if I don't have the real thing in the garden!

Here is Lights Camera Action

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Raleigh, NC

I did that with Coag--- too! just saw out the kitchen window it bloomed today. gotta go check it tomorrow - it looking good this time

OK irislovr - now you just gotta post us a pic of your kitchen wall!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I believe Mainecoone has Wrong Song. She posted a photo on DG site so might check with her. It is beaty.

Cincinnati, OH

I would love to show you my kitchen wall, as soon as either my son stops by or my husband gets back from a trip(next weekend) to show me how to do that! A little techno-challenged. Have any of you had your wonderful photos made into tile murals? I did that when we redid our master bath and they turned out fantastic. I have four, four tile murals of different iris set into the walls around the tub and by my sink. My husband liked them so well he put a larger one of his car in his shower!

Raleigh, NC

ok, how do you do that? I'm going to have to redo all 3 bathrooms within the next five years. that's something I would just adore.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Cat, please add me to your list for Wrong Song (whenever you have enough to spare). This would be well worth waiting for! Looks like it has every color of the spectrum!

well I guess I am going to have to make sure I have enough in stock for this one, LOLOLO

Cincinnati, OH

BonJon,

There are tile murals for sale on the internet and on e-bay, some of those sellers will also turn your digital photos into a mural. Mine were not expensive and the quality was incredible. If you like I will try to look up the name of the one I used in the next day or two. I had mine done in a glossy finish and the colors are wonderful. I believe my 4 tile murals were about thirty dollars each. I love them. I now have even better pictures and eventually I plan to "update" them. My contractor said it would be simple to remove the present ones and put in four new ones.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

irislovr,

I would love to know where you got the tiles from, please.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

irislovr,

I would also like to know where you purchased these mural tiles.

Dennis

Cincinnati, OH

My tile murals were made for me by Artwork On Tile, they had an e-bay store, probably still do. There are others that do the same thing, just google custom tile murals. This guy was friendly, easy to work with and quick. His price was very reasonable and the murals came out with the same clarity and color as the digital pictures sent. I bought small narrow tiles from the local hardware to "frame" them with and they were installed right along with the wall tile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.