The mysterious Velvet Storm

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

yahtzee by black

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice like those little guys.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Zagglecan? What a name. Lovely iris, though. Velvet Storm is a knockout. I especially like the dark purple STBs.

Lebanon, OR

Zagglecan is Burseen, Velvet Storm is one I might into, along with Emerald Isle

Working hard on red (like everyone), turquiose and green.

D

Thanks

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Love Zagglecan, makes total sense that is a Burseen, --- name should have been a clue. I think Velvet Storm could be a winner -- if the growth habits are good. So it isn't just Mid-American conspiring to throw me into bankruptcy, I see. Way to go, Dee.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Lovely as usual Dee! I would love a red TBI! Saw one in someone's online catalog, but can't remember which one. But, if I remember right, I couldn't afford it anyway. LOL

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Very pretty. Take a picture of your field in bloom or some clumps in bloom if you can, please.

Lebanon, OR

Field shot at Keppels'

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I would just love to walk around there :-))

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, do intro Velvet Storm Dee. I love that one!

South Hamilton, MA

Velvet Storm looks very nice. Funny about red irises. I had a single stem of an 'iris red' mum last yr left over from a flower arrangement. I enjoyed the changing color harmony as it aged, realizing that it was very pretty and not needing a fire engine red to enjoy.

Lebanon, OR

VS grows well...am thinking about it still but using it alot.

Got Glowingly in bloom right now.

Thank you Lucy and Polly

D

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Lots of "red" TB's out there HappyJackMom there is a thread here showing quite a few "Dynamite" is my favorite.

Thumbnail by DaLoveRat
South Hamilton, MA

I really like 'Emerald Isle'. Did you read the stuff about green in the Medianite? Difficult color. bennett Jones had his 'green amoena' seedlings sent here one time, but turned yellow in our soil.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That Dynamite is really something. I may have to have that one. Have other reds, but that one is terrific.

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

I have Dynamite in my front yard. wWe have a lot of people that walk, they stop their walking and come in the yard to see it, and Rustler and Red Zinger. I have others in bloom but everyone seems to like the dark reds.

With all the rain, TBs are being delayed more, tons of buds though, will be worth the wait. Maybe have some to enter in the show next weekend.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Dee, that is a beautiful photo of Undercurrent!! That is one that grows very well here too.

Is Emerald Isle a Dwarf?........... a TB? Is it a rather new intro? The name is 'reserved' in the AIS Electronic Register, but no other info on it.

(P.S. By the way...............Happy Birthday!! I hope you have the best year yet! ^_^ )

Raleigh, NC

now, see, in my garden, Dynamite washed out red, didn't like it at all. these look wonderful.

I just cannot get into Undercurrent, and I should, if only for the pollen.

but I adore Zamboomafoo

Dee, has Keppel cut back his acreage again? that looks like only part of the production field he had.

Lebanon, OR

Lucy, thank you on EI, I did read all about it, that is why I want to test it on the east coast, middle states etc this year. I want to see if stays true to the coloration. So far it has here. Unfornaturely I have lost all infor on it, because I have had it for 5 years now going yes,no,yes...

Thanks Margie about Undercurrent got photo lessons this past year and it has helped me alot in seeing the iris better and seeing as you see it with the naked ye.

EI is mine, please read above. I am still in doubt because at first I knew all the crosses then a grandchild helped at that point still had one parent, then a person removed the ID tag from the plant so that is the problem. I think it would be great to work with Spoons green and turquoise...

Bonjon, yes Keith has cut back some more. He will always have is newer things his seedlings and Blyth. But about half the size of when you were out.

D

South Hamilton, MA

What a pain when people mess with your garden. Luckily not many people are here except for judges & iris club tours. I have lost stakes myself had MTBs bloom with an SDB cross? but anything has been my fault. Have you seen Chuck Chapman's 'WeeGranny Smith'? Our hasn't bloomed as yet. Willow Mist (Weiler) was the greenest we had before, but it has been lost. According to the article as you know, green in ST. is difficult, even something like Snow Tree changes marking color in different soils. You still seem to have green on the standards, at least where you are.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday, Dee. I too really liked the photo of Undercurrents.

Lebanon, OR

Well you know when you have some grandkids they mess with stuff, and this youngun I found out did alot of things to the garden that he KNEW better, but thank goodness he is 16 now and seems to have some brains and do not see this one much any more. I have not had Snow Tree bloom yet for me, so really curious if it holds the green here. Willow Mist had so little green here that never sold a one.

Have not seen Chapmans.

Watching this year and going to send out to test to see if holds green in other areas. Whether I intro this one or not want to take the greenest and the most turquoise I have and cross with it...just to see what comes out.

Thank you Parjar on BD wishes and also the Undercurrents pic.

D

Raleigh, NC

just wish I had grandkids in my garden! darn kids are never going to get around to them.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They are a treasure. My grandaughter Jenna is 6, and she just loves planting irises. She knows they are rhizomes, and that they sit on the ground like a duck in water. And what a memory they have at that age. She went home and told her mother the names of all the ones she planted, around 10 of them.

Here's my Jenna, she's a high red belt in karate now, and will be getting her black belt at the end of this year.

How old are your kids Bonjon? My daughter was 28 when she had her first one. I only have one child and two grandchildren, and that's all we're going to have.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Lebanon, OR

My son will be getting married in June as you all know and after 3 months they are going to be tested as he is almost 43 and she is 35 and they both want one child..If it works great if not great too.

You should be super proud of the little karate princess being a red belt already. Do you go to her meets?

I did until my son got near the black for judo from Japan which is different they go for blood and could not take it...LOL

Do not give up about grandkids as my husband was 38 when our first was born.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't want to watch the blood sport ones, either.

Jenna is a high red belt. My grandson Jamie is high red, and my daughter is also. Jamie is a sweetheart, and a gentle soul. He loves to cook, and draw. Jenna is a fierce competitor, and unfortunately for Jamie, outshines him at all sports. She got the NE regional gold medal for katas, and took third in two other classes, tied for the youngest in the group ofover 100 kid sof age 6-10. Jamie placed third in the katas. But he was proud of himself, and doesn't resent his sister. Jenna can kick her foot from a standing position with her foot waist high, six times until it is straight up in the air, and then stay like that for three minutes. She lays forward with her legs split and is flat on the floor, amazing flexibility.

I've been to every meet, and every new belt ceremony, and I take them to karate on Mondays.

And lest I brag too much about the granduaghter, Jamie and I read Twilight together, he would read one book, and then give it to me to read, and we talked about it, and I was so proud he picked up on how Edward was so kind, caring and protective of Bella,. He told me that's how he will be when he gets a girlfriend. I bought him a sweatshirt that says Real Men Read Twilight for his birthday, and he wears it constantly. And I do see him treating girls with respect. With the cooking and that attitude he will make someone a great husband.

Well, enough about my grandchildren.

Lebanon, OR

I think you have every right to be proud and brag..I would too.

Boy she is flexible big time.

I must get the book of Twilight and read it as my grand daughter has started and we need to talk about it.

Marissa comes out and plants, trims, and is the worlds best cleaner in the entire world beating even me. She can get the bearded so clean you wonder if they ever touched the soil.

She is starting to want to do crosses now, so image when she comes out next weekend she will do whatever crosses she can.

Keeping hers and mine separate, more for her than me. She wants to learn now how to take pictures of bugs and iris now.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How wonderful that Marissa likes to do crosses! Can you employ her for the summer?

IDo read the Twilight books so you can discuss them with Marissa. i know you're busy right now, but I actually found them quick reading even though they are huge. Impress on her, that how Edward treats Bella is the way a girl or woman should be treated by their boyfriends/ husbands. I think it gives an awesome message to young women that their men should be kind, and caring and protective of them. It really shows that it's 'cool' to treat a girl right. Also Edward is very insistent about no sex before marriage. My Jamie glossed right over that one at 10, but I think the message came across really strong.

Paris, KY(Zone 6a)

Irisloverdee-whatever do you mean by your grand daughter cleaning the iris? I have just a few rhizomes and have 2 areas they are planted in-both get about 7 hours of sun. I am new to iris-and gardening pretty much. I have always gardened by trial and error! So I would liek to know about helping my iris grow and flourish!!

ALso-any suggestions for fragrant rebloom varieties of iris? I would like to add a couple to my collection.

Twilight will keep you from your garden!!:) Trust me!
Mary

Lebanon, OR

When I dig orders we label in the field, bring in to trables trim the tops off for the fan point, then the first cleaning of the roots is in plain water, then they go into another tub that is 90% water 10% bleach to soak 15-30 minutues, the out on to the drying tables.

Now if at home you need not clean if you are giving away to friends and family locally, but if you are donating to iris club they must be cleaned and nice and pretty.

If I did not answer all , please feel free to ask again

Thank you, as this helps me with my learning as well.

Had to do a report card on myself for testing iris from others to test mine and me to test others.

D

Paris, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh WOW! Very interesting! (Can't you tell I have little very experience with the garden) Well I appreciate your taking the time to explain to me what a cleaning is.

Now what about care and maintenance of Iris?

And a rebloomer that is fragrant for me to seek out?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.