I'm not convinced:

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I thought these were 'Ville de Leon" when the flowers first emerge this spring, but, as they mature -- the flowers appear to be bigger than the 'Leon' I used to remember. Also the coloring isn't quite right! It's not as vibriant, clear red as I've remember of 'Leon'. Please help.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

It's always good to check with Clematis on the Web. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=550

I can't see the stamen on your picture.Perhaps a close up shot would help.

Also, remember that when flowers first emerge they may look different that blooms later in the season. Guess it's due to immaturity, soil conditions and weather.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Nope it isn't "Ville de Lyon"..we need a closer-up shot to see the tepals as well...too large for VdL..wrong colour..no light pink bars....Here is my VdL...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Well, well, hmmm, this is one of my old pix in this area. That was my idea of putting together a "Red, Blue and White" theme. Isn't the red in here VDL's?

Thanks Shirley and Jeanne, I'll get more close up pix of this culprit this evening.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Delaware, OH

there is an old world quality to the coloring of ville de lyon that doesn't seem to be in yours. also the angle of the bloom...but need more photos. and there are different clones sold n different areas, but this clem is usually pretty recognizable. there is another thread here somewhere regarding this clem with pics

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Could it be 'Earnest Markham'? I'll post several more pics. for comparision. Today's Pictures:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another angle:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Close up of the anthers:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

By comparing to the listing above. It looks more like Earnest Markham, second opinion please. I've another Earnest M. planted recently, but this one hasn't put out buds yet.

Delaware, OH

ernest markam was my first thought this afternoon, but i will defer to someone in a closer zone. def not ville de lyon. ville de lyon is unmistakeable.

(Zone 4a)

Lily I just love the colour of that clematis! She really is beautiful.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dawn, those really perform well here for me. I'm pleased with them.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lily..how long have you been growing that clematis and is she a pruning group 2?..Blooming on old or new vines

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeanne, those were one of the many clems I've planted back in 2004. And it does bloom on old woods I think (I haven't pruned these, other than trimmed off dead, weak growths - all this years, lol). Admittedly when it comes to clems. I'm still a novice. Just adore them though. So does that describe a group 2 pruning type? Thanks Jeanne.
Kim

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes..when a Clematis blooms on old vines it is a pruning group 2 plus the Pg2's are larger blooms..I have to admit..that one has me stumped...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ummm, she's going to be group 2 NOID clem. until further notice (from Jeanne). LOL. Thanks all for your input.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.